Monday, December 2, 2013

The Rising by Kelley Armstrong [Review]

The Rising (Darkness Rising #3) by Kelley Armstrong
Format: hardcover
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: September 23, 2013

Darkness Rising
1. The Gathering
2. The Calling
3. The Rising - Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle
3.1. Atoning

Related Series:
(find all the books in the series on the 1st book review)
Darkest Powers
1. The Summoning

Kelley Armstrong
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the powerful St. Clouds and now a rival Cabal as well, they're quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it's not like they can just go to the authorities for help.

All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they're so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting more and more out of control.

But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she'll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can't keep running forever.

Old secrets are revealed and unexpected characters make a surprising return in this stunning conclusion to Kelley Armstrong's New York Times bestselling Darkness Rising trilogy.
Thoughts on The Rising: I totally salute Kelley Armstrong's ability to introduce a love triangle (of sorts) that didn't make me cringe. Maya's friendship with Daniel coupled with her relationship with Rafe had moments of tenseness but I never wanted to pull my hair out in frustration over them. Honestly, I loved the friendship between Daniel and Maya a lot more than I liked the relationship between Rafe and Maya. The dynamics of a girl and a guy being best friends and having to deal with everyone *thinking* it was more worked for me. (Also, I wasn't the least bit unhappy about the ending, in case you were wondering.)

So... beyond the relationshippy stuff, we have two rival Cabals after the Phoenix kids and they have no one they can trust. Those kids have only themselves to rely on and they're quick to understand that sometimes survival of the group means sacrificing themselves. (I'm having a total Star Trek moment here. Spock would be so proud.)

TOTAL BONUS, we get to meet up with the Edison Group kids. I love the Darkest Powers series and I'm always thrilled when we get any mentions of those characters, no matter how small. Actually getting resolution to their predicament? AWESOME.

There was a lot I adored about this book. It tied up two series nicely. We got to revisit some old friends. Friendship and love were explored. I just... *tackle hugs all these books* I loved them all. ALL THE BOOKS! I just reread both series and now I'm craving another reread.

That's good stuff, man.

2 comments:

  1. I still need to read this one book, but I want to re-read all of the other ones in the new year! I remember loving the other series so much, but I don't remember this one as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ADORED Darkest Powers. I remember reading book 1, ordering books 2 & 3 when I was halfway through with it and then rereading book 1 while I was waiting for the other two to be delivered. SO MUCH GOODNESS.

      Delete