Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Mane Squeeze by Shelly Laurenston [Review]

The Mane Squeeze by Shelly Laurenston
The Mane Squeeze (Pride #4) by Shelly Laurenston
Format: paperback
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: September 7, 2014

Pride
0.5. Howl For It
1. The Mane Event
2. The Beast in Him
3. The Mane Attraction
4. The Mane Squeeze - Paperback | Kindle
5. Beast Behaving Badly
6. Big Bad Beast
7. Bear Meets Girl
8. Wolf with Benefits
9. Bite Me

Shelly Laurenston
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Growing up on the tough Philly streets, Gwen O'Neill has learned how to fend for herself. But what is she supposed to do with a nice, suburban Jersey boy in the form of a massive Grizzly shifter? Especially one with a rather unhealthy fetish for honey, moose, and…uh…well, her. Yet despite his menacing ursine growl and four-inch claws, Gwen finds Lachlan "Lock" MacRyrie cute and really sweet. He actually watches out for her, protects her, and unlike the rest of her out-of-control family manages not to morbidly embarrass her. Too bad cats don't believe in forever.

At nearly seven feet tall, Lock is used to people responding to him in two ways: screaming and running away. Gwen-half lioness, half tigress, all kick-ass-does neither. She's sexy beyond belief and smart as hell, but she's a born protector. Watching out for the family and friends closest to her but missing the fact that she's being stalked by a murderous enemy who doesn't like hybrids…and absolutely hates Gwen. Lock probably shouldn't get involved, but he will. Why? Because this is Gwen-and no matter what the hissing, roaring, drape destroying feline says about not being ready to settle down, Lock knows he can't simply walk away. Not when she's come to mean absolutely everything to him.
Thoughts on The Mane Squeeze: So. I read book 1 in this series and then I skipped over to book 4 (it was the only other book I had and it seemed like the thing to do at the time.). Now, I'm kinda wishing I'd grabbed books 2 and 3 because, HA!, these characters give me an acute case of the giggles. They're just so rowdy and bloodthirsty and ... THEY PLAY ROLLER DERBY AND BEAT EACH OTHER TO BLOODY PULPS!

I'm having a hard time containing my excitement over them. *crazy flaily arms*

Things I liked - LOCK! He's a big, cuddly bear with a wicked roar who *might* absently walk off with a lion or two dangling from his hands because HE FORGOT HE PICKED THEM UP. HA! Yeah, that seriously made me laugh more than once. I like the quiet ones. Lock might roar a bit, but he's a sweet, gentle man under it all.

And the woman he falls for is loud and opinionated and she doesn't back down from a fight. LOVE! Gwen is feisty. She comes out swinging more often than not and she fights until she can't fight anymore.

Somehow, she and Lock are perfect for one another.

With a large, boisterous cast and a nice setup for future books, these shapeshifters will just as soon hug you as try to gut you with a well-placed set of claws. And that's exactly why I like them.

2 comments:

  1. Great review, I want to read that series !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I read in this series, the more I want to read. I just love it!

      Delete