Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Double Down by Susan Hayes [Review]

Double Down by Susan Hayes
Double Down (The Drift:Astek Station #1) by Susan Hayes
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: March 22, 2017

The Drift: Astek Station
1. Double Down - Paperback | Kindle
2. All In
3. Wild Card
4. Three of a Kind
5. No Limit
6. Full House
7. Blind Bet
8. Aces Over Queen
9. Chance of a LIfetime
10. Dealer's Choice

Susan Hayes
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
When it comes to love, sometimes the best bet is to double down.

Kit and Luke Armas are cyborgs created for one purpose, battle. Now that the war is over, they must fight to carve out a place for themselves in a universe they were intended to die for but never be a part of.

Cargo pilot Zura Watson came to the edge of civilized space to start over. The Drift is a haven for the hunted, the lost, and those seeking second chances. It was also the last place in the cosmos Zura expected to find love.

When the shadows of the past threaten to eclipse this trio’s future, they’ll have to fight for their chance at love and the life they’ve always dreamed of.
Thoughts on Double Down: Cyborgs, man. I have such a weakness for them and all their metal parts. Kit and Luke are more than just cyborgs, though. They're twins. Twins who need to share. And Zura is the special lady that get them all fired up.

I liked this book overall (because cyborgs), but there were times when it felt more modern-day than I was expecting. This might seem weirdly specific, but Zura wearing a "little black dress" made me do a double take. I can't even tell you why except I wasn't expecting it and it didn't seem like something a running-on-the-edge cargo pilot would indulge in.

But it was only one little thing and, really, it wasn't enough to take me out of the story for more than a moment. The cyborgs made up for it. As cyborgs often do where I'm concerned. Metal men trying to overcome the horrors of their past...I just eat that up.

Enjoyable overall, don't let my weird hangups about dresses keep you from trying it. I mean, if you like cyborgs, you like cyborgs. Full stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment