Saturday, November 27, 2010

Review: Seduce the Darkness (Alien Huntress #4) by Gena Showalter

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
The war between otherworlders and humans changed Earth beyond recognition. It also saved Bride McKells's life. Before, the gorgeous vampire was a target for every fanatic with a stake and a crucifix. Now, she's free to roam the streets -- and desperate to find others of her kind. One man claims to have the answers she seeks. Devyn, King of the Targons, is a warrior and a womanizer, and he makes no secret of how much he wants Bride -- and how dangerous he could be to her in every way.

An avid collector of women, Devyn easily seduces human and otherworlder alike. Until now. Not only does Bride resist him, but she leaves Devyn feeling something entirely new...a bone-deep need bordering on obsession. Her blood is the key to curing a vicious alien disease, but helping Bride uncover her origins will compel her to choose between electrifying passion and a destiny that could tear her from Devyn's side forever.
My Thoughts: I decided to give this series a try since this book is currently (for another day or two) a free online read at Pocket After Dark.  So, the upside here is that it was the entire book (they also offer sample chapters of books there) and I got to try out a new author for free.  The downside is that (a) I had to read it at my computer, which can be a little annoying, and (b) I was thrown into the middle of the series with book #4.

Coming into it at book 4, there were some pretty obvious goings on that I had missed from the previous books.  I'm torn between saying that I caught up pretty quickly and mentioning that a lot of the info on previous missions and hook-ups were given to you as a big, fat information dump.  Also, seeing as it is book 4, there's a large cast of characters.  I didn't have problems keeping the characters straight exactly, but I did keep forgetting who was hooked up with who.  It wasn't, by any means, insurmountable, but I did have a couple of moments where I mentally had to go back and try to remember who was doing what with who.

Now, our main characters.  I will admit that I liked Devyn's total man-whore personality.  The guy can and will seduce anything that moves.  After his rigid and cold upbringing, it's one of the things he's embraced whole-heartedly to help him gain control of his life.  He's also a rather heartless killer if the situation calls for it.

Bride confused me a bit.  On one hand she came across as desperate and living on the edge.  She's the only vampire she knows of and has no one to turn to when her body starts failing her.  Then she does a complete turnaround and becomes this sultry, devil-may-care siren who throws herself into her relationship with Devyn.  In some ways I felt like that wasn't explained well and I was left looking around and thinking I'd missed something.  Which maybe I did.  Who knows?

Did I enjoy the book?  Hell yeah.  It doesn't take itself too seriously.  It's hot.  Dev is just about the biggest ass on the planet, which of course makes him catnip to me.  It's fast-paced, bloody and full of aliens.  Would I have enjoyed it more if I had read through from the beginning of the series?  Probably, but I never felt so out of the loop that I couldn't keep up.

In short, if you're looking for a light read with hot sex, you might want to check this one out.

More books by Gena Showalter

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment