Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Review: Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy 6) by Richelle Mead

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Rose Hathaway has always played by her own rules.  She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir's Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir princess, Lissa.  She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri.  And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardians to come.

Now the law has finally caught up with Rose - for a crime she didn't even commit.  She's in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch.  She'll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.

But the clock on Rose's life is running out.  Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back... and this time she is truly out of second chances.  The big question is, why your whole life is about saving others, who will save you?
My Thoughts: Oh, guys.  This book is a brick, a veritable TOME, and I loved it. It could have gone on and on and I would have happily kept reading.  I really loved how so many important things were tied up and yet there was so much left unexplored.  If there wasn't going to be a spin-off series I might not be as thrilled about the dangling threads but knowing that this world will be revisited makes everything bearable in the world.

One theme that I've seen consistently through the series is how both the dhampir and Moroi need to be given the chance to lead their own lives.  The Moroi need to step up and stand up.  The dhampir need to learn to take things for themselves instead of blindly giving their entire lives over to the ruling elite.  This book allowed that theme to progress.  Did it tie up all the problems in the Moroi world?  No.  It most definitely did not, but it took some huge steps in the right direction and gave both the Moroi and the dhampir a new direction to explore.

Without going into specifics, I was truly happy with how this book ended.  It wasn't all roses and rainbows, bad things happened and there's fallout and blood but it ended so positively that I couldn't help but smile.

And I should probably stop now or I'm going to start giving examples or making suggestive comments and then I'll have to go back and edit myself.  Let's face it, I'm not all that good at editing those naughty thoughts.

I'm just going to say that this series gave me everything I needed.  I didn't always see it coming.  I didn't always want it to turn out the way it did, but I'm happy with the outcome.

And I'm glad that we're going to see more of this world and these characters.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Vampire Academy
Book 2: Frostbite
Book 3: Shadow Kiss
Book 4: Blood Promise
Book 5: Spirit Bound

More books by Richelle Mead

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment