Sunday, January 23, 2011

Review: Bonded by Blood (Sweetblood #1) by Laurie London

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Movie location scout Mackenzie Foster-Shaw has always known that she's cursed to die young. No one can protect her from the evil that has stalked her family for generations—vampires who crave her rare blood type. Until one afternoon in a wooded cemetery, she encounters an impossibly sexy stranger, a man she must trust with her life.

For Dominic, a man haunted by loss, Mackenzie satisfies a primal hunger that torments him—and the bond they share goes beyond heat, beyond love. She alone can supply the strength he needs to claim his revenge. But in doing so, he could destroy her….
My Thoughts:  My run of fun and exciting books continues!  From the first few chapters of this book right on through to the bloody ending, I was hooked.  I really liked the worldbuilding and the characters, from our mains right on down to the nasty bad guys, were interesting and dynamic.

Dom's reluctance to put Mackenzie's life in danger by drinking from her was noble and heroic.  He's big, sexy as hell and powerful and he has a soft spot for a human whose blood is addictive.  *swoon*  Have I mentioned yet that I think this cover is awesome?  I love how he's looking right at you and you have that hint of fang peeking through.  It's very different from the half-headed guys that we see on a lot of UF/PNR covers and I really, really like it.

Living with the "curse" of her family has made Mackenzie fearful of getting too close to people.  She keeps her distance as best she can and lives her life without hope that she's going to have much of a future.  It's sad and lonely and initially Dom's appearance in her life doesn't change her outlook.  It's not until she's told about the supernatural world that she begins to think that maybe things can change.  To be honest, I kinda liked her attitude.  She was realistic without giving into despair.

All in all, this was a well-written, well-plotted book that kept me interested from beginning to end.  I'm very excited for book 2.

More books by Laurie London

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment