Thursday, January 27, 2011

Review: Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2) by Laura Anne Gilman

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
My name is Bonita Torres, and eight months ago I was an unemployed college graduate without a plan. Now I’m an investigator with the Private Unaffiliated Paranormal Investigations team of New York. Pretty awesome, right?

The Cosa Nostradamus, the magical community, isn’t quick to give up its secrets, though. Not even to fellow members. Not even when it’s in their best interests. So we’ve been busting our tails, perfecting our forensic skills, working to gain acceptance. The team’s tight… but we have our quirks, too. And our Big Dog, Benjamin Venec…well, he’s a special case, all right.

But we can’t give up. We’re needed, especially when a case comes along that threatens to pit human against fatae. But one wrong move could cost us everything we’ve worked for…
My Thoughts: If I were prone to theatrics I'd be shouting OMG! while jumping giddily around as I try to write this review.  Of course we all know that I'm NOT like that and instead I'm sitting here sedately contemplating the universe and all manner of quiet, introspective things.  Oh, wait!  I'm not doing that!  I just finished the book and I had the full on moment of brain freeze where my body tries to catch up to my thoughts and the only thing I can grasp is this one long drawn out Ooooooh of excitement because I pretty much loved this book.

I just ... everything about it worked for me.  From the worldbuilding to Bonnie's attitude toward sex and relationships to the sexual zing she felt every time she and Ben looked at one another.  My GOD!  My head is spinning with the love.  I'm even feeling some serious cover lust right now and I just want to say that when I usually have cover love it's because of the man parts being displayed, not because the book is so freaking good that I want to lick it.

Now, I haven't read book 1 in this series yet (something which I'm going to remedy of very, very soon) and I had no problem at all jumping into the action with the characters.  In fact, within a couple of pages I felt like I'd been with this from the first.  The case they're working on taxes all of them in different ways- some subtle, some not.  Every new twist they reveal seemed to give us more insight into the lives, both past and present, of the characters.  All of them felt well-rounded and complete.  All of them grew in my mind as the story played out.

I think there's only one word that'll get my point across with this book.  WHOA.  Just, whoa.  If you have any interest at all in Urban Fantasy and strong, well-written characters this book is like a birthday dinner- All the things you want with a slice of cake at the end.

More books by Laura Anne Gilman

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment