Thursday, April 28, 2011

Review: Behemoth (Leviathan #2) by Scott Westerfeld

Synopsis (Goodreads):
The behemoth is the fiercest creature in the British navy. It can swallow enemy battleships with one bite. The Darwinists will need it, now that they are at war with the Clanker powers.

Deryn is a girl posing as a boy in the British Air Service, and Alek is the heir to an empire posing as a commoner. Finally together aboard the airship Leviathan, they hope to bring the war to a halt. But when disaster strikes the Leviathan's peacekeeping mission, they find themselves alone and hunted in enemy territory.

Alek and Deryn will need great skill, new allies, and brave hearts to face what's ahead.
My Thoughts:  Holy fabricated beasties, this book was amazing.  AMAZING!  I have a great appreciation for authors who take the time to build a detailed world but I have unparalleled awe for anyone who can take real world historical events and tweak them just enough to fit their story while still maintaining a thread of realism.  Scott Westerfeld has blown me away with what he did here.  It's equal parts gorgeous, lush and fantastical when we're riding high in the belly of a beast and dirty, smelly and cold on the ground with the mechanical constructs of the Clankers.

How much do I love Deryn/Dylan, btw?  Oodles!  I admire the way she decided that she wasn't going to let a little thing like her gender stop her from obtaining her dream of flying.  I love how she can think her way through, and out of, any situation.  She's a strong, smart, noble girl who takes the things this war is throwing at her finds a way to turn it to her advantage.  I also love that her secret doesn't appear to be as secret as she hoped it would be.  Everyone's starting to see through it except the one person she spends the most time with.  The one person she alternately hopes can see through it and dreads the repercussions the reveal will bring.

Gorgeous worldbuilding, strong, likable characters and a fantastic plot makes this one a definite keeper.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Leviathan

More books by Scott Westerfeld

1 comment:

  1. Great review! My husband just bought me books 1 and 2 of this series today, and I hadn't heard much about it. Glad you posted it lol

    ReplyDelete