Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Review: Fresh Blood by Jennifer Colgan

Synopsis (Goodreads):
A desperate call from her missing sister sends Erica Talbot on a dangerous rescue mission. Determined to prevent her twin from becoming a feeder, Erica steps out of her quiet, lonely existence and into a dark underworld where vampires make the rules.

Maxwell Hart is a vampire investigator. Part of his job is to protect humans. The moment he lays eyes on Erica, he knows she doesn’t belong in his world, but that doesn’t stop him from wanting her there.

With Max as her guide, Erica descends into a world where humans willingly give up control to their vampire masters. Posing as Max’s submissive feeder, Erica discovers a strange freedom in relinquishing her hard won self-control to Max.

After just one taste of Erica’s blood, Max finds he hungers for no one else. How can he possess her when drawing her deeper into his dark world will change her forever?
My Thoughts:  I don't exactly know what I was expecting with this book but it far exceeded those expectations.  I was impressed by the depth of the characters and the overall sexiness of the entire story.  The D/s aspects between a vampire and his feeder were very intriguing (but then, I really like D/s storylines) and I loved how Erica's fall into being a submissive feeder was approached.  I don't know if I can pinpoint any one thing that stood out for me, I just liked the entire story.

I did find Erica's slavish devotion to her sister disturbing, but at the same time it felt very real.  I know that there are plenty of times when we refuse to see the bad things that the people we love have gotten themselves into simply because they're family and we love them and only want to believe the best.  Does that make it easier to read about?  No.  But Erica's reactions when Elena needed her help- from dropping everything to rush out and meet her to ignoring her bad feelings and going alone to a vampire bar- worked for her character.

I liked Max's ability to switch between being a regular guy and a dominant vampire.  There was something very sexy about that.  And can that boy deliver a punishment or what?

More books by Jennifer Colgan

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great book! Brilliant review! I'm am so grabbing this one!

    ReplyDelete