Friday, July 8, 2011

Review: Now You See Me... (Poison Apple) by Jane B. Mason & Sarah Hines-Stephens

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Best friends Lena and Abby love searching through thrift stores for lost treasures. When they find an old Polaroid camera, they can't wait to try it out. But the photos that develop are troubling -- things that weren't really there appear in the pictures.

Creepiest of all is the image of a boy, dark and angry looking. He shows up, over and over, clearer each time. Can the girls discover what the ghost boy wants -- before it's too late?
My Thoughts: I decided to read this book because my niece picked them up at the library and I thought it would be cute if we could talk about it.  I wasn't expecting a whole lot from it, especially considering the age group it's targeted towards but I was pleasantly surprised.

A straightforward plot (girl begins to unravel a mystery after buying a haunted camera) and likeable characters move the story along nicely.  The writing was simple without being too cute or cloying.  The authors get bonus points for getting the girls into a public library (books, oh lovely, lovely books!) twice and giving them offbeat hobbies (photography and thrifting!).

Cute and simple, I have the feeling it's a little too difficult for my 8-year-old niece but I enjoyed it.

More books by Jane B. Mason
More books by Sarah Hines-Stephens

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment