Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Review: Eighth Grade Bites (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod #1) by Heather Brewer

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Junior high really sucks for thirteen-year-old Vladimir Tod. Bullies harass him, the principal is dogging him, and the girl he likes prefers his best friend. Oh, and Vlad has a secret: his mother was human, but his father was a vampire. With no idea of the extent of his powers, Vlad struggles daily with his blood cravings and his enlarged fangs. When a substitute teacher begins to question him a little too closely, Vlad worries that his cover is about to be blown. But then he faces a much bigger problem: he's being hunted by a vampire killer.
My Thoughts:  While I liked this book, I wasn't toally blown away by it.  Don't get me wrong, I liked Vlad and his situation and I was rooting for the guy from page one (how can you not root for the teenage vampire who's trying to make it in the mortal world?), however, I never reached that point of OMG!WHHHHYYYYYY? that I'm sometimes hit with.

It was a fun book.  I was entertained.  I liked that Vlad's Aunt Nelly is so blase about warming his blood for him.  I liked that she would make him food with blood capsules in it so that he could fit in with his classmates.  I liked that Vlad's doing the best he could to fit in.  I liked a lot about the book.  The downside is that I figured out who the people popping up in Vlad's life were before it was revealed.  I'm not syaing this is a bad thing, I just figured it out.

An entertaining and quick read that's sure to appeal to young teens who like to read about a social misfit who isn't afraid to be himself.  Like I said, I enjoyed it.  I had fun while reading it.  I'm curious about the plot threads that weren't resolved.  It's more than likely I'll be reading more in this series in the future.

More books by Heather Brewer

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment