Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Review: The Iron Queen (Iron Fey #3) by Julie Kagawa

Synopsis (Goodreads):
My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.
My Thoughts: This series just keeps getting better, doesn't it?  Even though Meghan's fate isn't that much of  surprise it's the journey up to it that makes it so fascinating.  And heartbreaking.  I'm unashamedly hooked on Meghan and Ash.  I adore Puck's quips.  I want to see more of this fabulous, imaginative world.

For me, the hardest thing about reading these books is that Meghan gets herself in trouble in faery fairly frequently simply because she doesn't know all the rules.  She hurts Ash with her careless words.  She stumbles into things without knowing how big they are.  At the same time, it's that that very disregard for some of the rules that makes her such a threat to the Courts.  She has power and she uses it in ways that the Oldbloods don't expect.  She's afraid, but she pushes on.  She loves fiercely even when she's told that it's a lost cause.

Which, of course, brings to mind Ash.  He came alive in this book.  I mean, I liked the guy before but in a superficial way.  He was sexy and hot and he can decapitate someone without thinking twice about it.  Yep, he's hitting all the high points on my sexy main characters list.  When Meghan unwittingly rejects his promise the ice he holds around his emotions cracked and we see how deeply he feels.  He's vulnerable to her in a way he's not used to.  His story about being empty ... *pets him*  I can't help but feel for someone who was raised in a Court that celebrates betrayal and seeks to use a person's weaknesses against them.  That Ash manages to be strong and finds a way to love Meghan despite all that gets to me.  Also, he has a pretty rockin' True Name.

Now I'm not saying this really happened or anything but I might have been a little teary eyed at one point toward the end.  Might have been.  And I probably would have cursed Julie Kagawa roundly if I didn't have book 4 already in my sweaty grip because... *sob*  Fortunately for everyone I'm well provisioned and ready to head into the next book.

The Iron Fey
1. The Iron King
1.5 Winter's Passage
2. The Iron Daughter
3. The Iron Queen
3.5. Summer's Crossing
4. The Iron Knight
4.5. Iron's Prophecy

More books by Julie Kagawa

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

3 comments:

  1. So many books to read and love. So little tme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy: No kidding. My TBR pile is getting out of control. No, scratch that. It IS out of control.

    Amanda: I have the 4th book already! I'm going to read and review it this week. Maybe next. *excited*

    ReplyDelete