Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: Valentine's Day of the Undead (Megan Berry #2.5) by Stacey Jay

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Q: What could be worse than spending Valentine's Day alone?
A: Spending it with evil zombies!!

Megan Berry is no stranger to heartbreak, but spending Valentine's Day serving other happy couples hot dogs while mourning the loss of her one true love is almost more than even a highly trained Zombie Settler can handle. So when her recently estranged boyfriend, Ethan, texts her asking her to be his Valentine, she ditches her bodyguard and rushes to his side.

But soon, Megan's dreams of chocolates, flowers, and lingering make-up kisses take a turn of the rotted-corpse-and-maggot variety, and Megan fears that her first Valentine's Day with Ethan, may be her last.
My Thoughts: This novella gave us some nice closure to Megan's story. Which makes me all sorts of smiley because people who fight the forces of evil (whether they're related to you or not) should have a happy ending. Barring a happy ending, they should at least get to kick some serious ass. And possibly find out some disturbing information about your former best friend who tried to kill you and is currently inhabiting a reanimated corpse. Oh, good times. Good times.

So, I have kinda a funny story here. Okay, it's not *really* funny but I find it amusing. I've met Stacey Jay. We've hung out. Okay, we hung out once. And I've been to a few of her book signings. I can see Stacey in this book. I can hear her utterly exuberant and sparkly personality bubbling up in Megan's thoughts and her musings on cheese. I loved it! I love hearing an author's voice shine through like that.

Highly amusing (much like Stacey herself) and irreverent, I was pleased that Megan wasn't left dangling in mid-series hell. We got enough answers that I wasn't clawing at the walls begging for more and enough was left unsaid to let me imagine a happy ending for everyone in the Megan Berry universe. Except the bad guys. They don't get happy endings.

Thank you, Stacey Jay, for the closure.

Other books in this series
Book 1: You Are So Undead To Me
Book 2: Undead Much?

More books by Stacey Jay

Reading challenges: Ebook Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment