It's that time again! Time to polish up your blog until it shines!
Remember: All of these items won't apply to everybody. If you already have a system in place for handling certain things (review requests, updating your archive, etc), great. Don't feel the urge to change it. This is more of a reminder to do the little things than anything else.
Felicia @ Geeky Bloggers Book Blog mentioned that she was going to focus on one big task a month (on top of all the little things). I think that is an OUTSTANDING idea. My goal is to redo my About page and write up a review policy by the end of the month. Boom! Let's do this!
(edited to add: So. I wrote this up last weekend and then decided to make these two tasks something to work on during this past week. I am pleased to say that I have completed these tasks and I still have LOTS of time left in the month to do MORE!)
- review archive - are you responsible for sites other than your own? Don't forget about those
- sidebar - check for buttons or links for events that have ended. Have any new events coming up? Now's the time to add them.
- reading challenges - update your progress, add links to challenges where you can link up.
- blogrolls - clean 'em up!
- crosspost - do you crosspost to Amazon, B&N, Goodreads, Library Thing? Don't forget to add your reviews to Netgalley for those ARCs.
- check your subscription links - Felicia (she has good ideas, people!) mentioned that add-ons and plug-ins can sometimes cause problems -- in her case, her RSS feed was giving an error when new people tried to subscribe (check out her Tech Tips for ideas on what to do if this is an issue for you). If this isn't something that you normally check, now's an excellent time to make sure it's doing what it should be doing.
- check your static pages (About, Review Policy, etc) for outdated information, broken links, etc.*
- review your profiles* - when was the last time you updated your Goodreads or Facebook profiles? Is everything up to date?
- January's half over... do you have your meme posts drafted? Weekly/monthly wrap-up posts? Have you been making lists of ideas for future discussion posts? If not... start now!
- respond to review requests and other bloggy emails
- check your spam folder - legitimate emails can sometimes slip through, catch them now.
- check the spam filter on the blog - get rid of the spam! save the legits!
- make the rounds - check back on blogs where you left comments, maybe spread a few new comments around like candy.
BACK UP YOUR BLOG!
Leave a comment letting us know what you're working on this time around. If you have any ideas about items you'd like to see in the next post (scheduled for 2/2), shout them out. Last housekeeping session, I kept a running update on my FB page on what I was working on. Feel free to join me over there. I WILL CHEER YOU ON IN (almost) REAL TIME!