Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare [Review]

A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove #3) by Tessa Dare
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: June 1, 2013

Spindle Cove
1. A Night to Surrender
1.5. Once Upon a Winter's Eve
2. A Week to be Wicked
3. A Lady by Midnight - Paperback | Kindle
3.5. Beauty and the Blacksmith
4. Any Duchess Will Do

Tessa Dare
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
A temporary engagement, a lifetime in the making . . .

After years of fending for herself, Kate Taylor found friendship and acceptance in Spindle Cove—but she never stopped yearning for love. The very last place she'd look for it is in the arms of Corporal Thorne. The militia commander is as stone cold as he is brutally handsome. But when mysterious strangers come searching for Kate, Thorne steps forward as her fiancĂ©. He claims to have only Kate's safety in mind. So why is there smoldering passion in his kiss?

Long ago, Samuel Thorne devoted his life to guarding Kate's happiness. He wants what's best for her, and he knows it's not marriage to a man like him. To outlast their temporary engagement, he must keep his hands off her tempting body and lock her warm smiles out of his withered heart. It's the toughest battle of this hardened warrior's life . . . and the first he seems destined to lose.
My Thoughts: Oh, Corporal Thorne! I didn't think you'd be the one who made me swoon like a too-tightly corseted lady, but your solid, sometimes scowly demeanor did the job. I love as the bits and pieces of a character's inner armor sloughs off to reveal the beating heart beneath all the fierceness. Thorne had a lot of heart under all that muscle. It just took Kate a while to excavate it.

Things I liked... oh, who am I kidding? I liked all of it! Thorne is fierce and he wants the best for Kate. Kate is a genuinely upbeat woman who has weathered her fair share of hardships in life. Watching the two of them unthaw enough to come together was so much fun.

As always, the background characters in Spindle Cove are still shining merrily away. We see some old faces (Payne, you rascal!) and some new ones (the Gramercy clan). I had some genuine moments of doubt as to why they had descended upon Spindle Cove, I'll have you know. Was it simply for the reason that they claimed or was there a darker reason hidden away that had the potential to make things very difficult for Thorne and Kate?

Without a doubt, I am IN LOVE with this entire series. I know it's hard to tell what with my NOT SHUTTING UP ABOUT IT but it's true. I'm starting to get scared as I get closer and closer to the end of the published books. I mean, what will I do once I read them all? WHAT WILL I DO?

Onward to Aaron and Diana's story!


4 comments:

  1. I have the first two books now and can't wait to read them!! It sounds like a really great series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this series. Seriously, I couldn't get enough of them. *pets them all*

      Delete
  2. I FINALLY HAVE A TESSA DARE BOOK! Except it's from a different series. That still counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, IT COUNTS! I just read the 3rd book in the series you have, btw. *thumbs up*

      Delete