Thursday, October 31, 2013

Kingdom by Marie Hall [Series Review]

Kingdom
1. Her Mad Hatter - Kindle
2. Gerard's Beauty - Kindle
3. Red and Her Wolf - Kindle
4. Jinni's Wish
5. Hook's Pan
5.5. Danika's Surprise
Kingdom Omnibus (#1-3) - Paperback | Kindle
Kingdom Omnibus Part 2 (#4-5.5) - Kindle

Marie Hall
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

I feel a little pervy thinking that Hatter and crew come across well when they're romancing their ladies up, but... they totally do! MOAR FAIRYTALES, PLEASE!

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Her Mad Hatter
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Date read: September 1, 2013

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Alice is all grown up. Running the Mad Hatter's Cupcakery and Tea Shoppe is a delicious job, until fate--and a fairy godmother with a weakness for bad boys--throws her a curveball. Now, Alice is the newest resident of Wonderland, where the Mad Hatter fuels her fantasies and thrills her body with his dark touch.

The Mad Hatter may have a voice and a body made for sex, but he takes no lovers. Ever. But a determined fairy godmother has forced Alice into Wonderland--and his arms. Now, as desire and madness converge, the Hatter must decide if he will fight the fairy godmother's mating--or fight for Alice.
My Thoughts on Her Mad Hatter: When I say things like "I was surprised by how much I liked this book" I always think it sounds like I'm implying that I didn't think I would like it. This is NOT TRUE. I picked it up expecting to like it (because why would I want to read a book I don't think I'll like) and I ended up all crazy-eyed and happy as the book progressed. It was SO MUCH fun! So.much.

I loved that Hatter really is cracked and Wonderland is just as fantastic as it should be. I loved that Alice had been obsessed with Hatter's story her whole life even though people around her kept telling her to grow up and forget about a fictional character. This was a twisty, romance-laden, grown up version of Alice's story and I LIKED IT!

(PS: If I suddenly start dressing in knee socks and tiny dresses with bows and aprons, remind me that ... Oh, scratch that, I already dress that way -- minus the apron. *finger guns*)


Gerard's Beauty
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Date read: September 1, 2013

Synopsis (Goodreads):
A not so classic retelling of Beauty and the Beast, as seen through the eyes of the villain...

Betty Hart has had it with men. Jilted in love, her life now consists of shelving books by day, watching too much Anime by night, and occasionally dressing up like a superhero on the weekends with her fellow ‘Bleeding Heart’ nerds. Men are not welcome and very much unwanted. Especially the sexy Frenchman who saunters into her library reeking of alcohol and looking like he went one too many rounds in the ring.

Gerard Caron is in trouble. Again. Caught with his pants down (literally) he’s forced to seek asylum on Earth while his fairy godmother tries to keep Prince Charming from going all ‘Off with his head’. Maybe, messing around with the King’s daughter hadn’t been such a great idea after all, not that Gerard knew the silly redhead was a princess. But his fairy godmother knows the only way to save his life is to finally pair Gerard with his perfect mate, whether he’s willing or not.

From the moment Gerard lays eyes on the nerdy librarian he knows he must have her, but Betty is unlike any woman he’s ever known. He thought Betty would come as willingly to his bed as every other woman before her, but she is a woman who demands respect and even… horror of all horrors… love. Is it possible for a self-proclaimed Casanova to change his ways?
My Thoughts on Gerard's Beauty: I adore slightly skewed fairytale retellings. Seeing Gerard's side of the Beauty and the Beast story was fun. The fact that Belle's casual disregard for his feelings caused him to turn into a certified man-whore is sort of sad. However, Gerard's love and appreciation for all the pretty ladies who crossed his path made up for it.

That said, when he's effectively neutered and has to get to KNOW Betty instead of just seducing and leaving, you get to see a whole other side to the sexy hunk. Watching him fall for her as she falls for him is sweet. The little things that she does without thinking about them that touch him so deeply made me grin.

Hunk of burning love vs sexy librarian who likes to occasionally dress up as a superhero. You wouldn't think it would work. But it does. Oh, it does.


Red and Her Wolf
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Date read: September 2, 2013

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Long ago there lived a beautiful child. Her name was Violet. Fair of skin, with blonde hair and large blue eyes. Born of wild magic, she was a woman with a child’s heart. Innocent and lovely, but not at all what she seemed--you see Violet went by another name: The Heartsong.

She was the child of fairy magic, the physical manifestation of all fae kinds unbridled power. Cosseted and pampered, she grew up in isolation, never knowing who she really was, or why there were those who’d seek to harm her.

Ewan of the Blackfoot Clan is a wolf with a problem. He’s been sent to kill the Heartsong, but the moment he lays eyes on the blonde beauty he knows he’ll defy the evil fae he works for to claim Violet as his own.

This is the tale of Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf, as it really happened...
My Thoughts on Red and Her Wolf: My fascination with werewolves is still going strong if I use this book to measure it against. Because... WOLF! Seriously, a Big Bad Wolf who is tortured by his mate's absence and *longs* for her every moment of every day. *swoon*

And poor Violet. She's been lied to her entire life. Yes, most of it was with the best intentions -- because she couldn't know the truth until she came into her power -- but everyone she trusted lied to her at some point or another. Except Ewan, the wolf she's been taught to loathe. The two of them are in a pickle and they're both pushing and pulling on one another for different things.

I'd have to say that this is the darkest of the first three in the series. Hatter's a little mad, Gerard's a little lusty, and Wolf and Violet like to make things bleed and hurt. Yes, I'm a little in love with the two of them. They're just so... wild and bloody. And they like to bite a lot.

*slow thumbs up*


2 comments:

  1. eep! I loved book one too. It was amazing. She's got an insanely awesome mind coming up with these. I was already really wanting to skip ahead to Wolf's book but dang yeah I might really have to now. So sounds like my kinda read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was DYING to get to Wolf's book. I love me some werewolves and he delivered!

      Delete