Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Girl with the Windup Heart by Kady Cross [Review]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H5I80W0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00H5I80W0&linkCode=as2&tag=ufya-paranormalreviews-20
The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles #4) by Kady Cross
Format: ebook
Source: provided by Harlequin Teen through NetGalley
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: April 16, 2014

Steampunk Chronicles
0.5. The Strange Case of Finley Jayne
1. The Girl in the Steel Corset
2. The Girl in the Clockwork Collar
2.5. The Dark Discovery of Jack Dandy
3. The Girl with the Iron Touch
3.5. The Wild Adventure of Jasper Renn
4. The Girl with the Windup Heart - Hardcover | Kindle

Kady Cross
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
In 1897 London, a final showdown is about to begin.

London's underworld is no place for a young woman, even one who is strong, smart and part-automaton like Mila. But when master criminal Jack Dandy inadvertently breaks her heart, she takes off, determined to find an independent life, one entirely her own. Her search takes her to the spangled shadows of the West End's most dazzling circus.

Meanwhile, taken captive in the Aether, Griffin King is trapped in an inescapable prison, and at the mercy of his archenemy, The Machinist. If he breaks under the hellish torment, The Machinist will claim his powers and control of the Aether itself, and no one in either world will be safe-especially not Finley Jayne and her misfit band of friends.

Finley plunges headlong into the Aether the only way she knows how, by temporarily dying. But she cannot parry The Machinist's maneuvers for long. To defeat him for good, Griffin will have to confront his greatest fear and finally come face-to-face with the destructive power he wields.
Thoughts on The Girl with the Windup Heart: Whenever I dip back into this series, I remember how much I adore it. Steampunk goodness with a side of family that's not blood but who has your back no matter what. Good times!

The bulk of the story revolves around Griffin's incarceration in the Aether and Finley's attempts to save him. Yes, Mila and Jack get some page time, but this book is really about tying up the threads of the plots that have been dangling since book 1 (Finley's run in with that dude who wanted to do bad things to her, anyone?) and I, for one, can appreciate that. I do wish we'd been able to see Mila and Jack tangle a wee bit more romantically, but I REALLY liked seeing things come together overall.

We also get some face time with the various other individuals who make up this motley group. I adored how all of them became family. Regardless of their feelings, each member of their group will stand up for another when the chips are down.

While I'm sad to see this series go, but I enjoyed how it all played out. Bonus, I see there's a novella or two waiting for me to grab them. Niiiiiice!

1 comment:

  1. Yesssss. This. It was really awesome seeing all the loose ends get tied up. I do hate seeing a series end, but I enjoy when it goes out on a high note.

    ReplyDelete