Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Dylan by Karla Sorensen [Review]

Dylan by Karla Sorensen
Dylan (Bachelors of the Ridge #1) by Karla Sorensen
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: January 26, 2018

Bachelors of the Ridge
1. Dylan - Paperback | Kindle
2. Garrett
3. Cole
4. Michael
5. Tristan

Karla Sorensen
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Dylan Steadman has never seen his stubbornness as a bad thing. It’s always been easy for him to make up his mind and stick with it. It’s why he works a lot, why he doesn’t need to make time for a girlfriend, and why he recently decided to move across the country for a new job. His brothers and sister are happily settled, and now that all eyes have turned on him, he needs a change. He does not need a relationship, and moving to Colorado lets him breathe. What he didn’t see coming was Kat, the much-too-young-for-him employee at his new restaurant.

Kat Perry doesn’t have a family. She doesn’t even really have friends, but that’s by her choice. Her new manager, Dylan, has all the things that she should avoid; the muscles, the eyes, the smile and the kind of white-knight syndrome that she doesn’t know what the frick to do with. Dylan should be easy enough to disregard since she’s managed to hold people at arm’s length her whole life, especially when a relationship is the very last thing she wants.

But she can’t ignore him, not when he befriends her, and definitely not when they tap into combustible chemistry that threatens to burn down everything around them. So instead of fighting it, they come to an agreement- just friends with a bunch of benefits on the side. Easy, right? Not exactly.

Especially when the heart gets involved.
Thoughts on Dylan: I bought this entire series knowing pretty much nothing about it except it looked like it had a sweet romance and, well...it was good, but it didn't blow me away. Again, knowing nothing about it, I got the feeling it was a spin-off from a series starring Dylan's family and, if I had read that other series, maybe his decision to move away would have felt more...weighty? Is that the word I'm looking for? Like, I would have more invested in his choice to fly the nest. I dunno. Because I wasn't as invested, the beginning felt a wee bit slow.

Dylan's new friends in Colorado were okay. Motor-mouthed Garrett's book is next and I don't know how I feel about that because he was the least endearing of all Dylan's friends. But that's another story for another time. Literally, in this case.

As for Kat, I didn't mind her. Given her past, I got her do-it-herself attitude. Don't rely on anyone because no one sticks around forever. It might not be the healthiest attitude, but, again, I got where she was coming from. Worming inside her walls took time and Dylan stumbled once or twice along the way, but it happened. Eventually.

Enjoyable overall, but it didn't blow me out of the water. Like I said, I have the rest of the series so I'll be continuing on, but it might take a while for me to psych myself up for Garrett's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment