Friday, October 15, 2010

Review: Shadow Bound (Shadow #1) by Erin Kellison

Shadow Bound (Shadow #1) by Erin Kellison
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: October 15, 2010

Shadow
1. Shadow Bound - PaperbackKindle
2. Shadow Fall
3. Shadowman
4. Fire Kissed
5. Soul Kissed

Related Series:
(find all the books in the series on the 1st review)
Shadow Touch
1. Shadow Touch

Erin Kellison
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Death
Some people will do anything to avoid it. Even trade their immortal souls for endless existence.

Wraiths
Secretly, inexorably, they are infiltrating our world, sucking the essence out of unsuspecting victims with their hideous parody of a kiss.

Segue
Adam Thorne founded the Institute to study and destroy his monster of a brother, but the key to its success is held in the pale, slender hand of a woman on the run. There is something hauntingly different about Talia O’Brien, her unknowing sensuality, her uncanny way of slipping into Shadow.

Twilight
This is the place between life and what comes after - a dark forest of fantasy, filled with beauty, peril, mystery. And Talia is about to open the door.
My Thoughts: I ended up liking this book quite a bit once I got past the flowery prose in the first few chapters.  That combined with the almost YA-esque cover might turn some people off, but this is really an adult book. Not adult, like naughty, kinky sex.  I mean, there is sex in it but it's not overly explicit.  I don't think I'd be comfortable letting my 11 year old read it or anything, but it's way below the scorching hot level of most of the books I read.  However, it's still definitely adult in theme.

There were some little, niggly things that I thought could be explained differently or earlier (namely the way Talia can sense emotions when she touches people) but I was impressed with the climactic battle scene at the end and that helped wipe away some of my issues.  I guess I'm saying that the writing/storytelling isn't perfect but it's more than entertaining and I liked the world that was created enough to overlook the things that bothered me.

It's a fun, fast read. Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment