Monday, January 3, 2011

Review: My Soul To Keep (Soul Screamers #3) by Rachel Vincent

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them.

Until something does.

Demon breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked.

And so is someone else…
My Thoughts:  Don't you hate it when you read a book and it's really good and the writing is fantastic and the storyline rocks and you hate some of the stuff that happens to one of the main characters and you can't reconcile those two feeling and it kinda makes you feel like some sort of schizophrenic?  I DO!  Guys, I really liked this book.  Really liked it.  It had a well paced storyline and everything that happened was downright enthralling. Heck, I wanted to thumb through to the end of the book to see how our heroes made out and I never do stuff like that.  Okay, fine.  I did thumb through to the end of the book but I only read, like, two sentences so that obviously doesn't count.

My point is that I hated what Nash had to be put through.  I get it.  It made perfect sense once things started to reveal themselves and I really didn't see the reasoning behind it coming.  You know, that kinda makes me either want to applaud Rachel Vincent's writing or sit her down in a corner and give her a stern talking to.  Because my poor, poor Nash... err, sorry.  Kaylee's poor, poor Nash didn't deserve to be crapped on like he was.  He totally got the short end of the stick here.  Oh, I'm not talking about the ending, I'm talking about the entire conflict.  He wasn't being stupid or irresponsible and he wasn't being greedy or a typical teenager.  Yet, he got screwed over.  Hard.  And in turn he hurt the people closest to him.  If I close my eyes and listen closely, there's this little voice inside me screaming that IT'S NOT HIS FAULT.  *face palm*  I am so a puddle of goo when it comes to misunderstood bad boys.

So, yeah.  I liked this book.  I think it's my favorite thus far.  I really, really liked how some of the events from the last book tied into this one. I liked that Tod had a bit more to do in this one.  I liked that Kaylee's still trying her hardest to save those that she can.  I liked that she's learning new things about her heritage and birthright every day.

I also love those UK covers.  My GOD, they're pretty.  Which is why I've included them in the reviews.  You know, because I'm shallow and easily distracted by shiny things.  (Psst, the e-book version is currently $5.  Great book, fab price!)

I think I've found my first favorite book of 2011!

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series:
Prequel: My Soul To Lose
Prequel: Reaper
Book 1: My Soul To Take
Book 2: My Soul To Save

More books by Rachel Vincent

No comments:

Post a Comment