Monday, March 7, 2011

Review: Alien Penetration (Alien Breeders #1) by Kaitlyn O'Connor

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Sent to harvest breeders for their dying civilization, Camryn, Kael, and Ean chose Simone for her spirit, never realizing that the one thing they found so desirable in her as a mother for their sons would be the catalyst to turn their empire on its axis.
My Thoughts: Am I being unreasonable to think that when certain words/images are used in a title or on a book cover that I expect those words to be illustrated in the book?  Do you remember my review of The Cajun's Captive where I lamented the appalling lack of captivity despite the bound hands of the lovely lady on the cover?  How about Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down (Goodreads link because that was my pre-awesome-blogging days!)?  More tying, less talking!

Let me tell you, when I buy a book with the word 'Penetration' in the title, I'm expecting something so dirty that it makes my eyelashes blush.  Sadly, this wasn't the case.  I don't think there was any sex AT ALL until at least halfway through the book.  And it really wasn't sexy when they finally did get down to it because the men had been raised ... umm, I really don't know how to put this delicately.  They'd been expending their manly passions with the palace concubine who apparently doesn't require than her man-friends give her any pleasure during their coupling.  You know, they'd pop in, pop off and leave her to the next guy.  Not pretty.  Really not sexy.  When the three studs finally do get down to the alien penetration, it's kinda... not sexy.

On top of my dissatisfaction with the no-truth-in-advertising title, there was a squick factor for me with this book (I had squick with the last book I reviewed also, what's that about?): the concubine who the studs visit at the palace was a mother-figure to them when they were children.  *makes face*  Since there are very few women on their world the boys would go to her for comfort.  As they got older, the comfort got a little more... physical.  I just... yuck.  I'm going to be honest, I read just about anything and this made me make a total sour lemon face.

So now I have the no-truth-in-advertising title and the squicky concubine.  Things need to start looking up quickly or it's not going to be pretty.  Unfortunately for me, I never really connected with either the characters or the story.  The bulk of the book spans a good portion of Simone's pregnancy (which was not done via any alien penetration, mind you) and the timeline would jump forward in fits and starts.  In fact, toward the end of the book there was a big jump of a couple of months that I didn't realize at first and I had a really tough time trying to figure out what had happened.  I get that the author was trying to move the storyline forward but it felt clunky and I only realized what had happened when it was mentioned that so and so "had been imprisoned for months".

In the end, this book and I didn't hit it off.  Part of it was the expectation I had going into it that it was going to be dirty/filthy/wrong.  Hey, I'm honest about the things I look for in a book.  I wanted smut, I thought I was getting smut, I was wrong.  Part of it was a lack of caring what was going to happen to the characters.

More books by Kaitlyn O'Connor

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment