Sunday, June 26, 2011

Review: Highborn (Dark Redemption #1) by Yvonne Navarro

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Brynna is a fallen angel trying to earn redemption. She’s escaped from Hell in search of a new life on Earth, but Lucifer’s deadliest hunters are hot on her trail. Police Detective Eran Redmond is after her for a different reason: he needs Brynna to help him find a serial killer who is terrifying Chicago . . . and the trail leads them right to Hellspawned demons of the most dangerous kind. She’s also got a very human problem: dealing with a stubborn, attractive cop who makes her long for everything she knows she can’t have.

Staying alive long enough to earn a shot at Heaven will mean breaking some major rules in the mortal world, as she learns just how complicated and wonderful being human can be. With so much stacked against her, even Brynna has to wonder if she’s crazy. But she’s not giving in without a fight.

Not a chance in Hell....
My Thoughts:  This was exactly the type of book I was looking for when I dug into it.  I wanted something in the urban fantasy vein.  Check.  I wanted something with fallen angels or demons looking for redemption.  Check.  I wanted a little romance but most of the story to be gritty and dark.  Check.  See what I'm saying?  Exactly what I was looking for.

I think the thing that tipped this book over the edge of fun and into INCREDIBLY AWESOME was Brynna.  I absolutely loved her reactions to the real world.  I loved that she was so nonchalant about death (hey, she'd doled out more death as a demon than most people could comprehend) and the way she didn't quite grasp that everyone around her expected her to horrified when she witnessed a murder.  I loved her anger when a group of thugs made the mistake of trying to hurt her.  It was so fun to see a character whose reactions were completely opposite of what you'd expect.

The worldbuilding and mythology were top notch.  The characters were well written and dynamic.  The plot was interesting and the ending came as a surprise.  Brynna's path to redemption is just starting and I'm sure she'll have plenty of tests on her way to freedom.  I'm looking forward to seeing what craziness she gets into next.

More books by Yvonne Navarro

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

3 comments:

  1. Great review! Definitely checking this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have this book in my TBR pile, but haven't gotten around to checking it out for myself. So, I'm glad to read your review and learn that the book has the right elements to please me as a reader.

    ReplyDelete