Saturday, June 25, 2011

Review: The Sacrifice (Forbidden #1) by Samantha Sommersby

Synopsis (Goodreads):
London psychiatrist Wesley Atherton is a man of science. He doesn't believe in love at first sight...until he finds himself inexplicably drawn to a green-eyed American beauty he bumps into on the Tube. Just his luck, Katherine, a fashion design intern, has an engagement ring on her finger.

Wes knows a thing or two about people, though. Instinct tells him there's something more than irresistible temptation behind their attraction. She doesn't love her fiance, he's sure of it - now if only he can convince her they're meant to be together.

Surviving a deadly train wreck is the first sign his intuition is spot on. The second -a psychic who warns them the Reaper doesn't like to be cheated out of its quarry. The situation defies all logic, but a string of strange and lethal events convinces Wes that he and Katherine are living on borrowed time. Pitted in a battle against death itself, Wes will do anything, make any sacrifice, to protect the woman he loves.

Warning: This book contains one bad-ass demon, spectacular shagging, a feisty American heroine, and one very hot, very British, knife-wielding shrink.
My Thoughts:  I picked up this book expecting a story that was primarily sex with a side order of plot.  Umm... no.  I was so completely wrong.  This book has a story arc and everything.  Can ya'll believe that?  It caught me off guard, people.  In a totally good way.  Not that I mind books that are all about the gratuitous sexing.  Geez, have you seen the books I read?  I like the gratuitous sexing.  I was just pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of a plot amongst the sexy shenanigans.

Wait.  Now I feel like I'm bagging on the books and/or short stories that jump right into the sex.  I'm not.  I like those books.  A lot.  I was simply expecting one thing and got another and it took me by surprise.

Now that I got that out my system onto the actual review.  I enjoyed that the story was told from Wes' point of view.  It's nice to see a male main character as the narrator.  I loved how hard and fast he and Katherine fell for one another.  That could have felt forced but it worked.  It probably had something to do with all the dark forces out to get them.  When evil comes a knockin' you have to move quickly in the love department.  That's pretty much the cardinal rule I live by.  You know, because I get chased by evil so often.  Or something.

I thought this was a really interesting idea.  It was well-written and well thought out.  The characters had definite chemistry - from the main characters straight on down to the random secondary characters.  While you can draw parallels overall to the Final Destination movies (characters cheat death only to find death stalking them), I felt like this book did an excellent job giving the idea a fresh feel.

Oh, and the sex was pretty hot, too.

More books by Samantha Sommersby

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! This book is on my list of eBooks that I plan on reading during the month of July.

    ReplyDelete