Sunday, July 17, 2011

Review: Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate #2) by Gail Carriger

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Alexia Tarabotti, the Lady Woolsey, awakens in the wee hours of the mid-afternoon to find her husband, who should be decently asleep like any normal werewolf, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he disappears - leaving her to deal with a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep, a plethora of exorcised ghosts, and an angry Queen Victoria.
But Alexia is armed with her trusty parasol, the latest fashions, and an arsenal of biting civility. Even when her investigations take her to Scotland, the backwater of ugly waistcoats, she is prepared: upending werewolf pack dynamics as only the soulless can.

She might even find time to track down her wayward husband, if she feels like it.
My Thoughts: Okay, I can see why some people might have been the tiniest bit upset with this book.  There's a lot of setup for later happenings.  At a recent book signing I went to Gail Carriger said that the first book was written as a stand alone, more or less, because she didn't know if the series would take off.  However, this book was written with a big, fat cliffhanger.  Sort of.  There were no actual cliffs involved, but it was left with one GIGANTIC thread (or two) left dangling and I can see how readers who had to wait for the next book to come out might be the tiniest bit upset.

I, however, am not.  I thought this book was fabulous.  I want to gather all the characters up and smoosh them into my closet (which will be weird since I've already stashed Cat and Bones in there) so I can pull them out and watch them get all snarky and mannerly and interact with one another.

To start with, I adore the sparks that flare up whenever Alexia and Conall are together.  I just can't get enough of those two.  I love how Alexia is so darn logical and pragmatic in her approach to all things.  She has an opinion and she's not afraid to let people know.  She's also terribly smitten with her husband, despite how unseemly that is in that day and age.  I just think she's fantastic.  FAN.TAS.TIC.

I honestly can't wait to start the next book.  What manner of mayhem will Alexia find herself in next?  I'm off to find out!

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Soulless

More books by Gail Carriger

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

2 comments:

  1. Best series ever!!!!!! I read this book shortly after it came out and the end was like what??? But not in a bad way just in a "How am I possibly going to wait this long to see what happens next kind of way??" I absolutely adore this series, love each and every book and am so excited because I have Heartless checked out from the library. Great review and I hope that you enjoy Blameless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. samantha.1020: It is pretty darn fabulous. I was so glad when I finished this book that I already had book 3 in my possession. I don't know how I could have handled waiting to find out what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete