Friday, June 14, 2013

Review: And With Madness Comes the Light by Karina Halle

And With Madness Comes the Light (Experiment in Terror #6.5) by Karina Halle
Synopsis (Goodreads):
The Man. The Mystery. The Madness.

Dex Foray has never been anyone’s fool – until he missed his chance for happiness with Perry Palomino. Broken and alone, Dex has no choice but to rise from the ashes Perry left behind and find his own path to redemption. But nothing in Dex’s life has ever come easily, especially when there’s a dark madness waiting in the wings.

Told from Dex’s POV, And With Madness Comes the Light is short story/novella that spans the time period from the end of Lying Season (Book #4) until the end of On Demon Wings (Book #5). If you were ever wondering what really happened to Dex while Perry was gone - his journey to Dex 2.0 - now is your chance.
My Thoughts: Delving into Dex's head is a little like ... man, I don't even think I can come up with something that properly illustrates the pervy sort of dirty that he has going on. He can be an ass, a pervert, a guy who hides his ability behind drugs and denial but he is infinitely fascinating.

And the fact that he completely screwed up with Perry, the best thing that ever happened to him, is heartbreaking.

What do I love in this novella? That Dex is unapologetically Dex. He falls into a deep funk after Perry bails on him and he WALLOWS in his depression. He's living off of potato chips and alcohol, for Pete's sake. He's practically barricaded himself in his apartment with his dog and shunned the outside world.

And then he snaps out of it.

And the guy that he becomes is twice the man he was. I dig a guy who isn't afraid to admit he screwed up.

Dex is pervy and a little whacked out, but he's awesome in his own way. I honestly can't get enough of the guy. *thumbs up*

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

The Experiment in Terror series
1. Darkhouse
2. Red Fox
2.5. The Benson
3. Dead Sky Morning
4. Lying Season
5. On Demon Wings
5.5. Old Blood
5.7. The Dex Files
6. Into the Hollow
6.5. And With Madness Comes the Light - Paperback | Kindle
7. Come Alive
7.5. Little Fifteen
8. Ashes to Ashes
9. Dust to Dust

Karina Halle
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |


4 comments:

  1. Damn I still have this read. WHY HAVEN'T I READ IT YET?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DON'T KNOW! I wasn't going to read it until you were ready to. Then I read the first page and suddenly I had read the entire book and I was all "Oops. Yay, Dex!"

      Delete
  2. You are freaking a reading machine! :) Seriously :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *makes totally awkward mental joke about needing to lube the machine*
      *deletes that from memory*
      I like to read.

      Delete