Saturday, November 30, 2013

2014 Reading Challenge: Seriously Series

Since Seriously Series 2013 gave me the kick in the pants to clear out some outstanding series (and get some rereads in that would have otherwise been pushed aside!), I'm bringing this challenge back in 2014! *cheers quietly as I think of all the books I have waiting for me to read them*

The guidelines are pretty much the same as last year. Let's take a look, shall we?

General Overview

How serious about series are you? We'll find out in 2014.

In the summer of 2012, Amanda @ On a Book Bender and I hosted an informal challenge that focused on completing books in series that we owned. It was enough of a success that we decided we wanted to turn it into a year-long challenge--with a few minor changes.

While Amanda is unable to host it with me this year, she is a huge part in the creation and implementation of this challenge and I couldn't have attempted to put it together without her. Thank you, Amanda!

Definitions

For this challenge, a series is defined as a collection of two or more books that belong together and where the second book is published before the end of 2014. This is a pretty broad definition of series, and it includes traditional series like the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, less traditional series like Stephanie Perkins's YA contemps (Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door), and shorter series, like Kendare Blake's Anna series (Anna Dressed in Blood, Girl of Nightmares).

A series is considered complete in one of two ways: either as finishing all the books that you own in the series or as obtaining and reading all the books that have been published in the series to date. Because we don't want this challenge to become a financial burden, how you choose to define completion is left to your discretion.

How It Works

To allow for the greatest level of flexibility, we've separated series into three categories: series started before 2014, series started in 2014, and series rereads.
  • Series started before 2014 are defined as series that you have started reading before Jan. 2014 and that you still have unread books to get current in (or finish) the series.
  • Series started in 2014 are defined as any series that you start reading between Jan. and Dec. 2014, and the second book in the series must be published before December 2014.
  • A series reread is defined as books that are part of a series that were read before Jan. 2014 and that are reread between Jan. 2014 and Dec. 2014. A series reread does NOT have to include the full series.

For each category, there are different levels of seriousness about series that you can choose. Semi-serious is reading 1 to 6 series, seriously serious is reading 7 to 12 series, super seriously serious is reading 13 to 18 series, and seriously spectacular series star is reading more than 18 series. What this ends up looking like is this:


series started before 2014 series started in 2014 series rereads
Semi-Serious 1-6 series 1-6 1-6
Seriously Serious 7-12 7-12 7-12
Super Seriously Serious 13-18 13-18 13-18
Seriously Spectacular Series Star 18+ 18+ 18+
FYI, reading novellas and short stories from a series does count here -- if you want it to!

You choose which categories you want to attempt and which level to shoot for.

Goals and Progress

Want to sign up? Create a post or page about this challenge, what goals you would like to accomplish (mine is here, as an example--currently, it's my 2013 page, but it'll switch over to the 2014 challenge in January), and then link up your post here at Reading the Paranormal. In addition to the sign up, every three months, there will be a check-in, where you can report your progress and reassess your original goals. That schedule will look like the following:
  • April 1st: January--March
  • July 1st: April--June
  • October 1st: July--September
  • January 1st, 2015: October--December
Ready to sign up?





Grab the button!
Reading the Paranormal - 2014 Seriously Series Reading Challenge

23 comments:

  1. Well, I didn't exactly fail with this challenge this year but I think I added more books to my TBR pile than I knocked out. The good news is that I won't have to spend much time deciding which series to add for 2014. I just need to adjust 2013's list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cleared out a lot and I managed to start and finish some new-to-me series but I think overall I added MANY books to my TBR pile, too.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'm going to try really, really hard not to do that this year. No promises though. ;)

      Delete
  2. I only managed Semi-Serious for both new and previously started, but it was still good motivation, so I'm in again! My reading has slowed to a crawl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped motivate you this past year! I always say, reading is reading, no matter how slow it is. *high five*

      Delete
    2. Series all decided and posted! I'm ready! Let's do this thing!

      Delete
    3. A FEW MORE DAYS TO GO! Then you can do it to your heart's content!

      Delete
  3. I had a question on the series started in 2014 category. You just mean we have to start reading the series for the first time in 2014, not that the series has to be published in 2014, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in! My post is up: http://anastaciareviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/2014-challenges.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! If you want to add your link in the linky, that would be great!

      Delete
  5. I'm in again! This was possibly my favourite challenge of 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Thanks! Since I read so many series books, I loved that nearly everything I read counted toward one of the categories. Glad you're joining us again!

      Delete
  6. Hallo! :)

    I have been looking forward to this beginning as I was too late to join in this past year! I was going to ask, is it okay if I just save the badge rather than copy the code each time I want to use it in a blog post for this challenge & in my sidebar!? I always link back! :) Just a bit less of a hassle! :) Will link up properly once I write up my post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. That's what I personally do. Glad you're joining the challenge!

      Delete
    2. Hallo Kelly!

      Thanks for your quick reply! :) I am setting up my RC posts today,... became a bit delayed in getting going! I wanted to run something else past you,... as I am not sure if I can include one series 'officially' as I do not currently own the series!? I did *gift!* the first book to a friend, but never had the chance to get my own copy? Could I unofficially keep track of series I read straight out of my local library, even if it isn't official? I could keep a separate ledger, but I was including this one under the branch of Series Begun Before 2014.

      Thank you! I am happy to be here!

      Delete
    3. I have several series that I've picked up from the library. Feel free to include it!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for wishing me a happy 2014 in return! :) I'm letting the good people know who have hosted me, that I now have challenges to offer YOU. I think you'd enjoy "Ethereal" (ghosts, real mysticism). There's also broad mystery and word games "Gentle Spectrums". Your peer in Canada, Carolyn! http://cmriedel.wordpress.com/riedel-reading-themes/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I will be doing any rereads. I hope that isn't a problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem at all. You decide what categories you want to participate in and what levels you want to shoot for.

      Delete
  9. Ii just wanted to let you know I had originally signed up with my Goodreads #24 was my entry. But I switched everything to my BookLikes blog. I re-signed up already but the linky won't delete my original sign up, I was wondering if you could do that? The original is #24.

    ReplyDelete