Thursday, February 23, 2017

Make it a Double by Sawyer Bennett [Review]

Make it a Double by Sawyer Bennett
Make it a Double (Last Call #2) by Sawyer Bennett
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: August 24, 2016

Last Call
1. On the Rocks
2. Make it a Double - Paperback | Kindle
3. Sugar on the Edge
4. With a Twist
5. Shaken, Not Stirred

Sawyer Bennett
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Brody Markham has endured a nightmare, spending the last five years in prison and losing everything that was dear to him. Now he’s back home, trying to survive in a world he doesn’t recognize anymore. While his family and friends desperately try to reach through to him, he shelters himself further and further away from their love.

Alyssa Myers has worked her entire life to distance herself from the luxurious and privileged lifestyle in which she was raised. Running her non-profit agency, The Haven, she is content to spend her days helping abused animals find sanctuary, which fulfills her in a way that money just can’t buy.

Maybe it’s that she recognizes in Brody some of the same characteristics she sees in her homeless wards, but Alyssa is powerless to stop her personal quest to make Brody whole again.

While Brody struggles to surface from the darkness, Alyssa tries to protect her heart in case he’s not willing to accept the light that she offers him.
Thoughts on Make it a Double: Awww. I'm such a sucker for the damaged, repentant heroes, aren't I? Now, I liked Hunter in book 1, but I REALLY liked Brody. The guy worked for me on a lot of levels. The broody ones get me every time, man. Every time.

So. Brody and Alyssa. He's been burned before by love. In the most epic of ways, might I add. The fact that his previous girlfriend came from money colors his view of Alyssa when he sees her again after getting out of prison. Except, Alyssa is nothing like his ex and the more time he spends with her, the more he comes to realize it.

Then things happen. THINGS. And soon those two are getting down and dirty in all the best ways.

I like the Markham siblings. I like that despite everything he'd been through, Brody knew his family loved him. I liked that he was so willing to stand beside Alyssa when her own family treats her badly. I like broody, damaged men who are trying to do right even when the world seems to be against them.

I have the rest of the books in this series. I just might have to dive on into them. Soon. Very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment