Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Review: Dreamfever (Fever #4) by Karen Marie Moning

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
He has stolen her past, but MacKayla will never allow her sister's murderer to take her future. Yet even the uniquely gifted sidhe-seer is no match for the Lord Master, who has unleashed an insatiable sexual craving that consumes Mac's every thought-and thrusts her into the seductive realm of two very dangerous men, both of whom she desires but dares not trust.

As the enigmatic Jericho Barrons and the sensual Fae prince V'lane vie for her body and soul, as cryptic entries from her sister's diary mysteriously appear and the power of the Dark Book weaves its annihilating path through the city, Mac's greatest enemy delivers a final challenge...

It's an invitation Mac cannot refuse, one that sends her racing home to Georgia, where an even darker threat awaits. With her parents missing and the lives of her loved ones under siege, Mac is about to come face-to-face with a soul-shattering truth-about herself and her sister, about Jericho Barrons...and about the world she thought she knew.
My Thoughts: *whimpers*  This book chewed me up and spit me out. I tried my hardest to draw it out and make it last but the only way I could do that was to put the book down and physically walk away from it.  There is no "just a page or two" with this series.  Once you start reading you can't break free.  It's just that compelling.

Oh, GOD!  The beginning of this book KILLED me.  I had my (not so) sneaking suspicions that Barrons would be a beast out of his clothes but this surprised even me.  It was visceral and feral and it clawed you down with it.  Basically, I loved it.

Every step our poor characters are forced to take isn't done lightly.  Everything they do leads back to something else.  Everything they have to endure is done as part of the driving arc.  There is nothing here that happens just to happen.  Quite frankly, that's incredible.

Mac has grow exponentially from book one.  In fact, I thought she was insipid and shallow and couldn't imagine how she could be made to carry this fantastic series.  That right there just goes to show that I know nothing, because Mac has become a fierce, driven creature who has so much power within her that just tapping into it gives her new insights.  Karen Marie Moning took this pink-clad party princess and made her a weapon.  She might have a few issues with who to trust, but she sure as hell knows how to battle her way out of the depths of hell.

My ideas about who and what Barrons is might have taken a slight beating but then they rebounded and I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK.  the guy is a mystery.  A gorgeous, powerful mystery who can control forces beyond comprehension and who violently protects those that he thinks he might need in the future.

Some questions that are bouncing around in my head:
  • Fiona alluded to Mac being more than just an OOP to Barrons before he silenced her.  What did she mean?  It wasn't just their physical relationship she was talking about.  Mac is more to him.  His salvation?  The chance he gets to undo a terrible wrong?
  • Who was the beast?  This one is killing me!  Who did Mac unknowingly strike?
  • The Dreamy Eyed boy keeps showing up in odd places.  Why?  I can't imagine that her run-ins with him are coincidence.  There are no coincidences in these books.
  • How are they going to smooth out the overlapping of Faery and the human world?  Or will they?  Is this the future?  Fae and humans side by side?  Can the Song of Making give life back to the parts of the world that have been sucked dry?
OMG!  There's too much here!  I can't wait for book 5!

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Darkfever
Book 2: Bloodfever
Book 3: Faefever

More books by Karen Marie Moning

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment