Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Review: Reaper (Soul Screamers) by Rachel Vincent

Reaper
Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Tod Hudson was a typical teenager. He liked girls, sports, food and tolerated his younger brother, Nash. In fact, he had his whole life in front of him--and due to his bean sidhe heritage, it was going to be a very long life indeed. And then the car accident occurred.

Suddenly Tod's future wasn't so sure, and he had to make a choice. Life... Death... or something Between....
My Thoughts:
I was surprised by the emotional wallop that this short story packed. On one hand, I've only read the first of the Soul Screamers books so I don't know how Tod's character evolves in later books, but I thought it was a fitting glimpse into his life, death and reasoning behind choosing to become a Reaper.

One thing I will say is that familial sacrifice is one of the things that makes me sit up and dab my eyes. That Tod would choose to do what he did for Nash gave him immense depth in my eyes. That he did it without knowing that becoming a Reaper was a possibility gave him a quiet type of honor, something that we hadn't really seen in My Soul To Take.

I might change my mind about this after I've read the other books in the series and have become more emotionally invested in his character but I'm pleased with this story. It deepened his character and I loved the look (small as it was) we were given of his interactions with both his mother and Nash.

More books by Rachel Vincent

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment