Friday, December 3, 2010

Review: Sons of Lyra: Slave Princess by Felicity Heaton

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Captain Lyra II, known as Balt to his family, is one of the famed sons of Lyra, the handsome princes with passionate hearts that every girl in the galaxy wants to catch. The second eldest son, he’s content with the freedom and adventure that life in deep space and the Lyran Imperial Army offers him. What he isn’t content with is the current situation he’s found himself in. Not only has he been forced to stop at a backwater port for supplies, but he’s leaving with more than he expected!

Kayla is a slave but can still vaguely recall what it had been like to be free. It’s something she believes that she’ll never taste again, and when she finds herself handed over like the piece of property she is to a complete stranger, a Lyran prince no less, she’s convinced her life is about to get a lot worse. Taken onboard his ship, she quickly finds herself torn between fulfilling a promise she made to her friends when she was young, and falling for his chivalry and good looks.

Balt, not wanting a woman as his slave and not wanting to become the laughing stock of the admirals, intends to dump Kayla at the first decent planet he comes across, but as he starts to learn more about her, he finds it harder to fight his growing attraction to her. A passionate kiss from her only makes things worse. When Minervan mercenaries demand he hand her over, he discovers her true heritage and realises that things are more complicated than he’d believed.
My Thoughts: So, yeah.  Sexy sci-fi is kinda one of those things that does it for me.  Why?  I don't know.  There's something about hot guys in flight suits battling the rigors of outer space that makes my heart go pitter-patter.  I'd been eyeballing this series for a while because (a) I like Felicity Heaton's writing and (b) hot guys in space.

My biggest complaint about this would have to be that it was too short.  I wanted a little more.  More more more.  I'm greedy like that.  I liked Kayla.  I liked her reaction to being handed over to Balt.  I liked the confusion she felt over her status as a slave.  She's shamed by it, yet she accepts it because it's what she's become accustomed to.  I liked Balt's chivalry toward her.  He didn't want a slave and he has every intention of getting rid of her as soon as possible and he still treats her with honor.

Like I said, I enjoyed it, I just wanted more.  Good thing there's three more books in this series.  And then there's the Daughters of Lyra series.  *rubs hands together diabolically*

More books by Felicity Heaton

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
 

2 comments:

  1. The Daughters of Lyra stories are all longer, more like Novellas than Short Stories. It's great to find someone else who likes sci-fi romance... I have a few sci-fi rom novels planned. Got to love sexy guys in space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I saw the wordcount on the Daughters series and was pretty excited! Sexy sci-fi! Love!

    ReplyDelete