Friday, December 3, 2010

Review: The Vampire Queen's Servant (Vampire Queen #1) by Joey W. Hill

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Lady Elyssa Yamato Amaterasu Wentworth is a centuries-old vampire who's been given a new servant-Jacob, a total alpha male unaccustomed to submitting to any woman's wishes. What really binds Jacob to her are not her sensual midnight hungers, but something far more provocative. It stirs her blood, renews her life, and awakens her soul like only true love can. The passion between Elyssa and Jacob yields something else unexpected-a shared history that reaches back through the centuries and is fated to challenge their destiny like nothing ever will again.
My Thoughts: I originally picked this book up for two reasons.  The first was that I absolutely loved the cover.  It's very sexy and naughty without actually showing anything.  I liked that.  The second was that I had seen the series recced on another blog and I loved the overall theme of the books.  Since Joey W. Hill was a new author to me, I decided to give her a try when this book popped up as a bargain book on Amazon.

Here's the thing- while I enjoy a good naughty, tie me up and spank me book every once in a while, I tend to prefer my men to be the alphas and dominate.  So I kinda felt like I was treading new ground here by reading something where the female is the dominant in the relationship.  I wouldn't exactly say that I'm a convert to this at this point, but I really did enjoy this book.  However, I think a lot of that has to do with the story that Joey W. Hill gave us.  It's got some kink, it's got some bondage, there's a running theme of submission and servitude, but there's also something sweet and loving woven in there.

Jacob serves Lyssa because he loves her.  He chooses to bend to her will and submit because he sees something inside her that calls to him.  Is he always thrilled with what she forces him to do?  No.  But he does it because it ultimately brings both of them pleasure, both physical and emotional.  The fact that he's not a natural submissive makes him alluring to Lyssa.  It ignites her passions to see him bend.

Weirdly, it's not really creepy.  She's very upfront about what she expects.  She's not bending his will to break him.  At least I don't think so.

Anyway.  I really liked the book.  Jacob and Lyssa's story continues in the second book (which I will  be reading soon) and I'm curious as to how all these dangling threads will be tied up.

More books by Joey W. Hill

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment