Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review: Switched (Trylle Trilogy #1) by Amanda Hocking

Synopsis (via Goodreads):

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth.

With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.


My Thoughts: This was one of those books that kept popping up on my "people who bought X book also bought" list over at Amazon.  Since it was under a dollar, I decided to splurge and give it a try.  Guys, this book was different and cool and interesting.  It's about trolls and Changelings and families and falling in love in the most inopportune times.

If I'm honest, I liked the first part of the book better than the end.  But that's just me.  It's a thing I have with multi-book story arcs.  I love the initial setup and then you fall into a time where all these balls are being put in motion for events that will come in later books and part of my weeps a little inside because I'm all about the instant gratification and getting my heroes into bed.  Wait, what?  This book isn't a sexy romance.  The chasteness of it has its own appeal (steamy kisses... yum).  I need to stop expecting my heroes to tangle up the sheets every chance they get.

In the end, I really enjoyed this book.  It's a different take on the idea of Changelings.  Or, maybe it's not, since it's still revolves around switching out one baby for another, but that's not what I was trying to say.  It's fun.  There's a ball.  There are hot kisses.  There's the idea that family is what you make it, not what you're bound by blood to.

Yes, I will be continuing with this series.

More books by Amanda Hocking

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

3 comments:

  1. I love Amanda Hocking. I haven't read this series yet but I have read her My Blood Approves series and Hollowland. All of them are very good.
    I actually didn't know what the Trylle Trilogy was about til I read your review. Definitely reading it soon now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started reading this book before the holidays. I was enjoying it so much, at .99 I think you can't go wrong. I hope I'm able to get back to reading it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica: This is the first book I've read by her and I'm very impressed. There was some damn fine world building going on there.

    Gina: That was my whole thing. At .99 I don't mind trying new authors. The fact that it's an enjoyable read just makes 100x better.

    ReplyDelete