Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review: Unlacing the Innocent Miss by Margaret McPhee

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Hardened thief-taker "Wolf" Wolversley has clawed his way out of the gutter to get where he is. No stranger to society's underbelly, he's met Rosalind Meadowfield's seemingly sweet type before.

Accused of a crime she didn't commit, fearful Rosalind begs Wolf not to turn her in. But Rosalind's fear soon turns to desire as the bitterness in Wolf's eyes turns to passion…. His touch is gentle for so fierce a man. Rosalind should be mortified by her wantonness. Instead, it's as if something else has taken over her body…
My Thoughts: It's kinda a running joke (and I know I've mentioned this before) that I'm the least emotional person EVER when it comes to books and movies.  Things will move me, don't get me wrong, but they don't move me to tears or anything.  Guys, it must have been a stressful holiday or something because I was way over-identifying with the poor main character.  There were tears.  Actual tears.  And now that I'm looking back on it, I really don't think I should have been sobbing over this girl's isolation from society and the way people immediately believe the worst of her.  Seriously.

The beginning of the book totally captured me (see above re: the crying and over-identifying) and I couldn't stop reading it.  Then I got to the end and it was satisfying and I went to bed.  I swear to you that when I woke up this morning I had to consciously try to remember the ending.  It's like it fell out of my head in the middle of the night.  Weird.  Really weird.  Especially considering how the beginning of the book left me a soggy mess.

I guess I'm trying to say that I totally dug this book for reasons I can't figure out.  The characters were fun, but they weren't so astoundingly awesome that I couldn't shake them from my head (like Terrible and Chess from Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts series).  I just don't know why I was crying like a baby while reading this.  I wasn't actually 'crying like a baby'.  More like a soft and heartfelt sobbing.  Quietly.  It was moist without being wet.  And that's kinda gross somehow.

Anyway.  It's a Harlequin Historical so the sex is present but not overly graphic.  I liked the idea behind the Thief-Takers a lot.  I'm just confused at how this one affected me.

More books by Margaret McPhee

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment