Sunday, January 9, 2011

Review: Love Immortal by Felicity Heaton

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
When you're searching for your purpose, the last thing you expect to discover is that you're the latest reincarnation of a goddess on a three thousand year old mission to defeat the original werewolf, Lycaon, before he can gain revenge on Zeus and Olympus.

Rescued from the claws of werewolves by Julian, a handsome and mysterious immortal, Lauren is pulled into a dark and frightening new world full of monsters out to kill her and an organization of people with phenomenal abilities who want to protect her—Ghost. But the most frightening thing of all is that soon Lauren will need to drink Julian's blood in order to reawaken and regain her immortal powers.

Or she will die.

Julian isn't about to let that happen. He's never met anyone like Lauren and he's determined not to lose her. She's the perfect copy of Illia but is nothing like her or any of the incarnations. She is light to their darkness, and she breathes life back into him, but can he trust her with his heart and bring himself to believe that the feelings she shows him are real after everything he has been through?

Can Lauren succeed in defeating Lycaon when all of her predecessors have failed? Will she be able to crack the armour around Julian's heart and seize her happily forever after with him?
My Thoughts: When I first started this book I was a little intimidated by it.  It's big.  I mean, I read fast and it still took me a couple of days to get through.  I'm not complaining about this AT ALL because it gave the characters time to develop and show you all the facets of their personalities.  I'm just saying that when I first started it I was intimidated by the size.  Oh, ha!  I made a size joke.  I always enjoy those!

As much as this story is supposed to be about Lauren and her journey, Julian was the one that made it pop for me.  He's so stoic in the face of everything he's had to go through.  He's so accepting of what Illia's previous incarnations have forced upon him.  It's heartbreaking how he's had to harden himself to the world because of it.

Yes, I still have a thing for tortured heroes.  *pets them*

The beginning of the book moves a trifle slowly.  I'm in the "toss our main characters in bed as soon as possible" camp, though, and I don't think that would have worked here.  It was all about the build up.  All about the lowering of walls and the softening of hearts.  *swoon*  Once Lauren goes through her change and begins to see things as an Immortal the action moves fast and furious.

All in all, it was a fun, simmering read with an unforgettable hero.  The showdown between Lycaon, who has a serious jones for causing the utmost mayhem he can to poor Illia's incarnations, and Lauren was well done.  The secondary characters, Morgan especially comes to mind, were fully realized and felt very complex.  The sex, when our heroes finally do fall into bed, was properly hot and well worth the wait.


More books by Felicity Heaton

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment