Friday, January 14, 2011

Review: Personal Demons (Personal Demons #1) by Lisa Desrochers

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance—-even her closest friends—-and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him.

What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy—-all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.
My Thoughts:  This is one of the books that I was itching to get my hands on.  Itching.   When I finally cleared enough room in my reading schedule to get it read, I was thrilled.  (Yes, I really did have to make time for it.  I have a lot of books that are grumbling at me from the corner! *gives them the stink eye and tells them to shush up*)

First things first, those of you who follow my reviews might have noticed a slight soft spot I have for bad boys, fallen angels, demons with hearts of gold, etc.  Fine, it's not slight.  It's big and mushy and my brain gloms (<-- Not a word, apparently.  Well, auto spell check, I respectfully disagree.  Glom: To attack and hold onto in a highly personal manner that probably embarrasses those around me) onto those pretty bad boys like they're water in the desert.  I LIKE BAD BOYS, OKAY!?!  I CAN'T APOLOGIZE FOR IT!  IT'S JUST THE WAY I'M WIRED!  *ahem*  Right.  So, here's a book with a demon who's not a good guy when we first meet him.  He's a DEMON!  And he's sent here to tag a girl's soul for eventual eternal servitude in Hell.  OMG!  Could that be any more fantastic?  A bad boy who's really bad and who can't figure out why he's having such a hard time doing the job he was sent to do!

I'm swooning on the inside, guys.  Swooning.  Luc had me the first time he mentioned he was literally hot.  I really have no idea why that was the thing that got to me, but it was.  I liked his attitude.  He's a high level demon in Acquisitions who's good at his job.  He's a bad ass.  He's going to complete the tag and to Hell with whoever gets in his way.  Except, oops, that's not quite the way it works out.  OMG!  Now he's a bad boy who's been thwarted by his own desires.  *double swoon*

Okay, so I obviously like Luc.  What happens when the angelic Gabe shows up?  All I can say is this: Is it inappropriate for me to hope for some sort of happily ever after menage in a YA book?  Can you imagine the three of them tearing up the sheets together?  I've probably been tagged for Hell just for thinking that, but now that I have I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD!  (This probably means that I need to lay off the sexy menage romances for a while. *whimper*  *goes into withdrawal*)

I wish I could write something a little deeper than that, but I can't.  I've been sucked into my own imagination and I refuse to come out until Luc, Gabe and Frannie have all Happily Ever After-ed together into the sunset.

Did I ever mention that I liked the book?  True story, I like it a lot.  It has a fun, sexy vibe that skates on the edge of being naughty without ever actually going there.   I liked that the narrative gave us a glimpse into both Frannie and Luc's side of the story.

I can't wait for the next book!

More books by Lisa Desrochers

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed PD. My editor fell over when I suggested a ménage à trois, but Melissa Marr told me I should go for it. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa: YOU TOTALLY SHOULD! I'D BE ALL OVER THAT! See, you made me use all caps. That has to mean something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your review. I've been wanting to read this for a while, but I just haven't gotten a copy yet. Your review very nearly had me ordering the book right this second online. As it is, I think I'll have either done that or bought it in the store in the next couple of days. Now, I'm super excited about it.

    ReplyDelete