Monday, February 14, 2011

Review: Jewel of Atlantis (Atlantis #2) by Gena Showalter

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
All Atlantis seeks the Jewel of Dunamis, which legend claims can overcome any enemy. Grayson James, human agent of the ultra-secret Otherworld Bureau of Investigation, has orders to keep it from the wrong hands -- or destroy it. What he doesn't know is that Jewel is a woman, not a stone! But once he meets this precious gem, destroying her is the last thing on his mind . . .

Jewel, part goddess, part prophet, is a pawn in Atlantis's constant power struggles. She needs Gray's help to win freedom and uncover the secrets of her mysterious origins. Gray needs her wisdom to navigate monster-ridden Atlantis. But need blossoms into passionate love as they fight demons, dragons, vampires-and a prophecy that says the bond between them could destroy them both.
My Thoughts:  Dudes.  So, Atlantis is like this crazy mish-mash of a Xena-verse with dragon shapeshifters, vampires, demons and any number of other bizarre mythological creatures.  Throw in a human with noble intentions who happens to work for a group of people who might or might not use whatever they find in Atlantis for evil and you've got a pretty funky, fun time.

I have to admit that this crazy underwater fantasy world works for me.  It's so densely populated with critters who are just as likely to gut you as help you that I find myself a little in love with it.

Have I mentioned the Alpha males yet?  Well, Atlantis is crawling with them.  Some of them can fly, some of them drink blood and sometimes they're just a poor soldier who's never screwed up a job and doesn't plan on starting now.  Any way you cut it, these boys are just yummy.

Gray and Jewel's connection is sweet and sometimes sad.  I was a bit confused as to whether Jewel was immortal or just very long-lived.  Not that it has much of a bearing on the story, just something I was wondering.

Anyway.  I really liked this installment and I loved seeing Darius and his dragons from the first book.  I like the continuity and the set up for book 3.  I'll be all over the rest of this series.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Heart of the Dragon

More books by Gena Showalter

2 comments:

  1. Did the guy from the cover just rip out of his shirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celine: Ha! Well, somebody had to do it. Why not him?

    ReplyDelete