Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Review: The Fire Inside (Sidekicks) by Raymond Rose

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Ten years ago, Jack and Bruce barely survived a battle royale between good and evil that left half of their city destroyed. Over the years, they’ve drifted apart – their lives going separate paths. Now Bruce is back in town looking for Jack’s help. Because what’s about to happen is worse than anything they could imagine!
My Thoughts: You know how sometimes you have to be in the right mood for a book?  (As an aside, that's why I haven't read book 6 in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, because it's so damn epic and I have to be in the moooood for that level of angst and awesomeness.)  By the time I made it to the end of this book I was fist punching the air and looking for things to fight with my epic Highlander broadsword.  No fooling!  Where's the cadre of super villains that I'm going to decimate?  I'm coming for you!

While the end was literally a non-stop run of action, blood, guts and flame, the beginning is a little less frantic.  Taking place mostly in the present, the narrative intersperses flashes of the epic battle that decimated the city 10 years before to give backstory on the main characters.  Initially, this felt a little choppy and was hard for me to keep up with, but as the characters began to take shape a little more in my head it all started to make sense.

With fast-paced action and well written characters bundled in with a touch of intrigue to keep you guessing, this book was hard to put down and it had plenty of threads left open to explore the lives of the other supposedly dead superheroes.  I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

More books by Raymond Rose

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment