Saturday, April 23, 2011

Review: Lucas (Black Cougar #1) by Eliza Gayle

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Kira MacDonald is in trouble. Plagued by false visions and erotic dreams of a man she's never met, she fears losing both her psychic powers and her sanity. The cure? Finding and bonding with her mate. The stubborn red-haired warrior might not want one, but fate has other plans, plans that include her rescuing Lucas Gunn.

As the Guardian of his shapeshifting clan, Lucas Gunn lived a quiet, solitary life until he was kidnapped, examined, and tortured. Now imprisoned, his only tie to the outside world is the memory of his dreams and the passionate woman who appears in them. He thought she was nothing more than a vision. Then she came for him.

An uneasy alliance, a mating call that won't be denied, rituals that must be honored, and unrelenting enemies who will stop at nothing to get what they want. It all comes together in the first of Eliza Gayle's sensational Black Cougar Series. Passion and pride. Duty and danger. In the end, there's really only one choice...for Lucas.
My Thoughts:  This book started out promisingly enough but somewhere along the way I lost the thread of what was happening and the end was a mishmash of events that I could hardly make heads or tails of.  It's highly possibly that the lack can be laid at my feet but I honestly didn't know what I was reading over the last 40% of this book.

Kira confused me.  I know part of the issue with her was that she was losing her grasp on reality as her mind fragmented but the things she did and the reasoning behind her actions were so out of the blue sometimes that I kept having to backtrack to try to figure out why she was doing things.  For someone who had military training she was remarkably idiotic with the way she went about trying to keep herself and/or get herself out of trouble.

I liked Lucas.  I liked Kane.  I think I was supposed to feel like Malcolm was redeemable but... I didn't.  I mean, anyone who kidnaps and tortures someone is going to have to jump through hoops to make me see that they did it with "good intentions".  Malcolm didn't jump through any hoops.  He tried, but it was more like a molehill.  And he only jumped over it, not through it.

One last thing.  Lucas was all talk.  He kept saying that he was going to give Kira the punishment she deserved but it never really happened.  All that buildup and one little spanking?  Nope.  There needed to be some tying up and spanking at the very least to live up to my expectations.

This book was by no means terrible but it felt very disjointed.  I almost feel like I came into the series mid-way through, instead of with book 1.  Will I be continuing with it?  I'm not sure at this point.  It had intriguing things happen but the overall mythology didn't feel as well fleshed out as it could have been.

More books by Eliza Gayle

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. I got this book one day last week. It looked interesting. I may pass. I have problems with military trained charaters that do things that go against military training. Great honest review.

    ReplyDelete