Sunday, May 22, 2011

Review: A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark #2) by Kresley Cole

Synopsis (Goodreads):
A mythic warrior who'll stop at nothing to possess her . . .

After enduring years of torture from the vampire horde, Lachlain MacRieve, leader of the Lykae Clan, is enraged to find the predestined mate he's waited millennia for is a vampire. Or partly one. This Emmaline is a small, ethereal half Valkyrie/half vampire, who somehow begins to soothe the fury burning within him.

A vampire captured by her wildest fantasy . . .

Sheltered Emmaline Troy finally sets out to uncover the truth about her deceased parents -- until a powerful Lykae claims her as his mate and forces her back to his ancestral Scottish castle. There, her fear of the Lykae -- and their notorious dark desires -- ebbs as he begins a slow, wicked seduction to sate her own dark cravings.

An all-consuming desire . . .

Yet when an ancient evil from her past resurfaces, will their desire deepen into a love that can bring a proud warrior to his knees and turn a gentle beauty into the fighter she was born to be?
My Thoughts:  I'm going to lay it all on the line here and announce that I really liked this book.  What?  No one's shocked by this?  Yeah, me neither.  Which is why I bought the first 6 books in this series without trying them on for size first.  It could have turned into the type of reading fail that I lament for years to come but it didn't.  Because, you know, the books are good.  And sexy.  And they have that whole forbidden romance angle going, which I love.

I think Emma's character impressed me the most.  I had moments where I thought she was going to allow herself to be consumed by Lachlain's dominant personality and give him everything he wanted but suddenly she'd gather her courage and put her foot down and say NO.  I liked that.  She really grew into herself as the story progressed.  I mean, there aren't many halflings who can take on the Lykaen King and get away with it.  Well, that's what I'm guessing, at least.

As with The Warlord Wants Forever, the depth of the world Kresley Cole has created continues to astound.  I love the different factions of supernatural beings and the mythology behind them.

Overall, it was a fun, sexy read with memorable characters and fast paced action.

Other reviews in this series:
Novella 1: The Warlord Wants Forever

More books by Kresley Cole

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment: