Sunday, May 29, 2011

Review: Wings (Wings #1) by Aprilynne Pike

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.
My Thoughts:  I had a tough time with this book.  I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I did think it moved rather slowly in the beginning and while it started to pick up speed toward the end it never hit that relentless pace where I couldn't put the book down.

I really do like the idea of faeries as plants.  I don't quite understand why Laurel's being kept in the dark about her heritage but I'll accept that it will be explained in the next book (or so).  As far as the ever-present love triangle goes, between Tam and David, I have to wonder how there's any question in Laurel's mind which one makes her giddy.  She practically glows around Tam while she continually pushes David aside saying that she's not ready or she just wants to be friends.

In the end, while I enjoyed the book I do feel that it's geared toward the younger YA set.  The pace was slow, the kisses were chaste and when the action did start to heat up it was never overly gory (am I jaded when a neck being snapped doesn't equal gore in my world?).  Still, I read the book from beginning to end and it left enough questions that I'd like to have answered for me to be looking at book 2 in contemplation.

More books by Aprilynne Pike

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment