Sunday, July 3, 2011

Review: The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker (Strangely Beautiful #1) by Leanna Renee Hieber

Synopsis (Goodreads):
The albino beauty who has come to study at Victorian London-s Athens Academy will learn not only to deal with the ghosts that she can see, but her own part in the puzzling prophecy that threatens the known world.
My Thoughts: I'm not implying this actually happened or anything but I might have to start a new shelf on Goodreads called "books that made me cry".  Okay, fine.  I cried.  There's this whole thing that happens and it hurt to read and I might have ended up a little teary.  There might or might not have been a box of tissues involved.

I liked this book a lot.  Books that make me cry (ALLEGEDLY!) earn high marks.  That said, there were parts of this book that made me crazy.  The way the bulk of the group stood against Alexi without listening to him made me make a growly face.  I can appreciate why it was done and why it had to happen in the course of the story, but I wanted one of the 5 to put their foot down and back him.

Still, I liked the book.  I liked watching Percy flower into a more confident young women.  I also get a delicious naughty thrill from that whole teacher/student relationship.  Especially when it's done the way it was done here.  It never felt exploitative to me, just sweet and sexy.  He gave her strength and confidence in herself.  He didn't flinch from her less-than-normal looks.  He listened to her when she told her secret.  Yes, he broke her heart but he broke his at the same time.  And he did it all because he thought he was doing the right thing.

Overall, I enjoyed the dark feel, the blood and guts, and the sweet romance.  The book wasn't perfect, but it was full of emotion and it (might have) made me cry.  Not that I'm admitting to anything.

More books by Leanna Renee Hieber

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment