Sunday, July 3, 2011

Review: Thin Air (Weather Warden #6) by Rachel Caine

Synopsis (Goodreads):
After preventing Mother Earth from destroying the planet, Joanne Baldwin lost her memories thanks to Ashan the djinn-and they will remain lost forever unless Joanne can recover her identity-and destroy the demon who is impersonating her, fabulous shoes and all...
My Thoughts:  Oh, this one was good.  I remember when I first started this series and I kept thinking "Well, it's okay, but it's no Morganville Vampires."  While that still stands true (I have a deep soft spot for vampires and hunky guys named Shane), this series has grown on me far, far more than I expected it to.

I especially liked the lack of memories part of the storyline.  I have a thing for amnesia (favorite Sookie Stackhouse book of all time? The one where Eric loses his memory. Delicious!) and I really liked that not only were Joanne's memories ripped from her, their loss was threatening her very existence.  Watching her rebuild herself a piece at a time, in ways that she shouldn't have been able to, was interesting and gave insight into Joanne's past.

There was a lot I liked about this book.  I liked that Joanne have to rediscover her feelings for David again.  I liked that the essential core of her was still distinctly Joanne whether she had her memories or not.  She still fights for the underdog.  She's still unable to walk away when someone needs her.  She still gets hot for a powerful car.  She's still Joanne.

The stakes keep getting bigger and the different players we've been introduced to over the first five books are coming together as the series begins to gear up for the big showdown.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Ill Wind
Book 2: Heat Stroke
Book 3: Chill Factor
Book 4: Windfall
Book 5: Firestorm

More books by Rachel Caine

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment