Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Review: This Totally Bites! (Poison Apple) by Ruth Ames

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Twelve-year-old Emma-Rose Paley has always felt different from her bubbly, outgoing parents. Unlike them, Emma-Rose has pale skin and jet-black hair, is quiet and moody, and prefers gray weather to sunshine. She also hates the taste of garlic, has very sharp incisors, and loves rare burgers. When Emma-Rose uncovers a dark family secret, she has a sudden revelation. Could Emma-Rose be a real, live vampire?
My Thoughts:  This is the last of the Poison Apple books that my niece checked out from the library and I *ahem* stole from her to read.  Cute with the message that things (and people) aren't always as they seem, it's a quick read with a funky main character.  My niece pointed out within the first few pages that the 12 year old main character dresses the same way I do.  I don't know if I should be flattered that she noticed or disturbed that I dress like a tween.

Anyway.  These books are written to be very accessible to the middle grade readers.   I like that they celebrate diversity of self (the main characters usually have offbeat hobbies and aren't afraid to enjoy being different) and that without fail they sneak the point home that you shouldn't judge someone until you know all the facts.

Fast and fun, these books will appeal to younger readers who enjoy a touch of the supernatural without the scare factor.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment