Sunday, August 28, 2011

Review: The Demon Trapper's Daughter (Demon Trappers #1) by Jana Oliver

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?
My Thoughts:  Okay.  We have ourselves a book here with great worldbuilding, fab characters and one hell of a cliffhanger.  I don't like cliffhangers.  No, that's not true.  I do like cliffhangers.  Kinda.  I like them in the sense that I'm motivated to read the next book in the series but I'm not so keen on them when I don't already have the next book in my hot little hand.

Despite my sadness over having to wait to read the next book in the series, I was enthralled with this book from beginning to end.  Riley is sweet and more innocent than you'd guess she'd be based on her choice of careers.  Her dad's protected her, though, and kept the deep, dark badness as far from her as he could.  I love, love, love the world Riley lives in.  It's gritty and dirty and downright nasty at times but Riley and her friends and family have found a way to survive in it.

Now, I didn't so much care for Simon.  He's not a bad guy but he's... bland.  Not like Beck.  Yes, my adoration of complicated, tortured heroes can't be hidden.  Beck's a little screwy, a little blunt, a little loveable.  Simon?  Not so much.  He's the Saint, guys.  The one who's by the book and (in my opinion) no match for Riley.

This book wasn't quite what I was expecting when I picked it up but it delivered the demon-y goodness and gave me some blood and guts.  Nice.

More books by Jana Oliver

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda: It wasn't terrible as far as cliffhangers go but I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!

    ReplyDelete