Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Review: Kiera's Moon by Lizzy Ford

Synopsis (Goodreads):
When starving artist Kiera wakes up on board a spaceship, she panics. Her best friend has dragged her across the universe to help her find a man and a life, only the man she ends up unwittingly hooking up with is a battle-hardened warrior prince living in exile.

Calculating, cautious A'Ran wants nothing more than to reclaim his planet. He needs Kiera as his lifemate to heal his planet and his war weary people. He's not prepared to be a lifemate himself, and discovers almost too late what he risks losing if he can't learn to be more than a warrior.
My Thoughts: You guys know that I like Lizzy Ford, right?  It's true.  All her stories have struck a chord in me in one way or another.  You wouldn't think that a book about possessive aliens in a patriarchal society would be able to do it but you'd be wrong.  Yep, once again, Lizzy Ford has written a book that I couldn't put down.  Actually, I did end up putting it down but it was only because I literally couldn't keep my eyes open last night.  My Kindle kept slipping to the side and it made it very difficult to read.  Which is totally not the point, but you can see where I'm going with this, right?

Here's the thing, I didn't like all the characters in this book.  This mostly revolves around Kiera's friend who drags her into the entire mess and is probably one of the most selfish characters I've read in a while.  Yeah, she's a secondary character and I probably shouldn't let her annoy me as much as she did but... geez!  Selfish much.  Kiera even sees it in her and basically calls her on it (which made me like Kiera even more) but I wanted to throttle that so-called best friend for being such a poop.

As for the main characters, they are in no way perfect people.  A'Ran is controlling, driven by his duty to his people and rather manipulative in getting what he wants from Kiera in the beginning.  Yet, he makes an effort to change.  Kiera is overwhelmed by her circumstances, bored out of her mind and not very open minded when it comes to the customs of the people she suddenly finds herself thrown in the middle of.  She has to make some tough decisions in a short amount of time and given the type of person she is, the choice robs her of her freedom.  She feels trapped and unwanted, even though her very presence is the most wanted thing on A'Ran's planet.

I really enjoyed this book.  The ideas behind A'Ran's world were interesting and the characters (excluding the annoying, selfish best friend) were fun to read about.  Lizzy Ford continues to impress me with her imagination writing.

More books by Lizzy Ford

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment