Saturday, September 10, 2011

Review: Jabril (Vampires in America #2) by D.B. Reynolds

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Houston, Texas-Cowboy boots, baseball and journeys to the stars . . . right?

Wrong. Because Houston is also home to Jabril Karim, one of the eight powerful Vampire Lords who control all of North America. And as Private Investigator Cynthia Leighton will soon discover, not all Vampire Lords are created equal.For Jabril is the face of evil in the new world, a vampire who values no life but his own, who enslaves those he desires, steals whatever he covets and destroys anyone who stands in his way.

Running from L.A. and its seductive Vampire Lord, Raphael, Cyn sees the Houston job as a welcome refuge, a place to get away and heal her broken heart. But Texas will be no vacation. For in Jabril Karim, Cyn will confront a true enemy, one who will go to any lengths to satisfy his lusts, enrich his coffers and expand his power.

Fighting for the lives of two young sisters, Cyn's journey will take her through the streets of Houston and back to L.A., where the human police are determined to bring Raphael down for the murder of one of their own. But the danger doesn't end there. For Jabril has set his sights on Cyn, and he will stop at nothing to have her.
My Thoughts:  You guys know that I thought Raphael was fantabulous, right?  Like, knock me down and made me its bitch good.  True story.  I was initially a little hesitant to start this book because I kept thinking "But this book isn't about Raphael and Cyn! It's about some dude in Texas!"  Well, I was only partially right.  There is a dude in Texas,  A pretty bad one.  Downright nasty, in fact.  He's not all enlightened like those West Coast vamps are and he treats women pretty shabbily.  But... and here's the part that I was totally wrong about... this book is all about Raphael and Cyn.  ALL ABOUT THEM!  Even though Raphael doesn't make an actual physical appearance until a good way in, he's front and center in Cyn's mind.

Don't ask me how D.B. Reynolds did it, but it works.  I wanted Cyn to work through her issues about Raphael.  I wanted Raphael to accept what Cyn means to him.  I wanted Jabril to get his just desserts.  I wanted more Duncan but that's just because I like the guy.  I wanted wanted wanted and I got it.  Well, except for more Duncan because by definition if I wanted more of him there wasn't enough.  Right?

I'm still loving that Raphael has that edgy, feral side.  He's not always a nice guy.  It comes with the territory when you're a master vamp, apparently.  Don't worry, he totally pulls it off because that dark side is balanced by the way he protects his people.  Oh, and by the way he's totally into Cyn.  What can I say?  It works for me.

The twists were twisty, the bad guy was bad, the good guys might have killed a few people.  Oh, and Cyn and Raphael are well worth the wait.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Raphael

More books by D.B. Reynolds

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment