Saturday, September 3, 2011

Review: Staked (Time Brokers #1) by Sandra Edwards

Synopsis (Goodreads):

Ava Valentine is a time-traveling bounty hunter from the distant future. She's chased her fugitive back to present-day New York City, where she hopes her new contact will lead her to an uneventful capture. What she's not expecting is to get mixed up with a man she suspects is a vampire.

Dexter Stone is a mysterious soldier of fortune. He holds an allegiance to few, and has a reputation for selling out anyone if the price is right. His word is good though, and once he chooses a side, it'll take more than monetary gain to sway him to the other.

A run-in with an unsavory person from Ava's past forces the pair into an uneasy alliance. And soon, Ava will discover that she could be Stone's saving grace-or his downfall.
My Thoughts:  This is another one of those books where I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.  I thought the idea was cool because, you know, time traveling bounty hunters ROCK!  At the same time I thought the characters could have been a little better developed.  Now, this isn't a terribly long story, so I don't expect oodles of backstory and whatnot but it seemed like Ava and Dex got smacked upside the head with their wild attraction to one another and then they were being torn apart.  I like wild attraction.  Everybody knows that.  Or, they should know that.  I guess I'm trying to say that everything moved so quickly, from their attraction to one another to the resolution on this part of the story arc, that I never felt a real connection to either of them.

That said, this part of the story has a pretty open-ended... uh, ending.  There's definitely more in store for Dex and Ava and I'd expect that their characters will deepen as the overall arc progresses.  I hope that Ava's past is explored a bit more and we're given answers about her mother and why she tried to do what she did.

Overall, it's an interesting but too-brief look into a world where some people have the ability to time travel and vampires and aliens are commonplace.

More books by Sandra Edwards

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment