Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Review: The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law #2) by J.A. Saare

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Vampires, and werewolves, and demons, oh my.

Rhiannon thought facing off against a deranged child vampire was the most dangerous task she would ever have to undertake, but she’s about to discover making a deal with a demon is far, far worse. Sent forward into another reality, one in which vampires are now dominating nearly extinct humans, she realizes the sooner she returns to her vampire lover, Disco, the better.

Unfortunately, time changes a lot of things; including those most trusted around her. When she’s faced with a loss and betrayal unlike any she has ever known, her focus shifts from severing the debt between the demon that wants to kill her, to exacting a revenge that will bring forth consequences she never could have fathomed. By reaching out to the darkness lingering within her, she’ll find the strength to push forward despite the circumstances that would see her dead and buried.

After all, when it’s all said and done, all that she has left to lose is her soul.
My Thoughts:  *whimpers* I am ... and then there was the ... and now I need to... *whimpers again*

*deep breath*

I had this book sitting on my Kindle for a week or two before I worked up the nerve to read it.  Not because I thought it would be bad or anything but because I loved Rhiannon and Disco and his crew of vampires so much in the first book that I was terrified of what this book would bring.  I mean, the end of book 1 is a killer.  A stone cold KILLEH.  The idea of this book reduced me to a quivering mass every time that ending flashed in my mind.  So I put off reading it.  I should have had more faith in the incredibly talented J.A. Saare because this book blew my socks off.*

Rhiannon was her usual brash, loud mouthed self and she's dealing with some big changes in this book.  Big changes.  Like, world ending changes.  Even if we bypass that whole "end of the world dance party" thing, she's dealing with big stuff.  Her powers have increased exponentially and she has a bit of a demon problem.  In typical Rhiannon fashion, she pulls herself up by her bootstraps and keeps soldiering on.

This book expands Rhiannon's world by leaps and bounds.  New elements are introduced, new emotions are unearthed and Rhiannon agrees to take on a task that could have some very far reaching consequences.  Needless to say, I was a puddly mess through most of this book and I loved it to pieces.  The only thing I'm cursing at the moment is the wait for the next book.

*confession: I'm not really wearing socks, but if I were they'd be totally blown.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Dead, Undead or Somewhere in Between

More books by J.A. Saare

2 comments:

  1. I just downloaded this book on Monday. Haven't read it yet, though. Sounds like I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda: *whimpers and clings* Sooooo good. I only put it down last night because I was so tired I couldn't focus on the words.

    ReplyDelete