Saturday, December 11, 2010

Review: A Certain Wolfish Charm (Westfield Brothers #1) by Lydia Dare

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
He gets crankier and crankier as the moon gets full...

The rules of Society can be beastly-especially when you're a werewolf and it's that irritating time of the month. Simon Westfield, the Duke of Blackmoor, is rich, powerful, and sinfully handsome, and has spent his entire life creating scandal and mayhem. It doesn't help his wolfish temper at all that Miss Lily Rutledge seems not the least bit afraid of him, and in fact, may be as untamable as he is...

A woman whose charm is stronger than the moon...

When Lily's beloved nephew's behavior becomes inexplicably wild, she turns to Simon, the boy's cousin and guardian, for help. But Simon's idea of assistance is far different than hers, and Lily finds herself ensconced in his house and engaged to the rogue.

They both may have bitten off more than they can chew when each begins to discover the other's darkest secrets...
My Thoughts: Now this is the type of historical book I can get behind.  Regency Werewolves!  Awe.some.  For starters, guys, I like werewolves.  I like werewolves being thrown into weird and unlikely scenarios that somehow make sense.  I don't mind historical novels exactly but I have to be in just the right frame of mind to read them.  Until I found out that werewolves were members of the nobility.  Who knew?!?!

A couple of random observations: The synopsis makes me blink and do a confused head tilt.  I'm not sure what deep, dark secret Lily is carrying that Simon needed to discover.  Maybe I skipped over that part of the book in my glee at finding Regency werewolves.  Still, *blink* *head tilt* *blink*  I thought that Lily was a wee bit understanding when Simon would go around breaking furniture in his werewolf-y rage that she knew nothing about.  I mean, if the guy I was married to inexplicably trashed his study on a regular basis I'd start looking into anger management classes or worry for my own physical safety.  However, Lily was just like, "Hey, Simon, I see you broke another desk.  Are you ready for dinner?"  C'mon!  There's forgiving and then there's willfully blind.  The guy has superstrength, honey!  Don't just brush this stuff off.

I can content myself with the fact that she didn't just brush it off... eventually.  She unraveled those secrets and made the story work.

I really ended up liking this book.  It was just so fun to read.  Silly werewolves trying to fit in with the shallow and snobbish upper class.  Good stuff, guys.  Good stuff.

More books by Lydia Dare
 
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment