Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Review: Immortal Ops (Immortal Ops #1) by Mandy M. Roth

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Captain Lukian Vlakhusha is having issues with his newest target, Peren Matthews. Something about her has left him staring at her picture and wondering what it would be like to touch her soft skin. When the time comes for the team to strike, Lukian senses danger and aborts the mission. He makes an attempt at meeting Peren and is set in his place by an independent young woman who knows what she is, and isn’t, looking for in a man.

Lukian is having trouble telling Peren that he’s what she fears most, a werewolf. Can they make the passion that burns between them last, or will Lukian’s condition be too much for Peren?
My Thoughts: I've had a run of books lately that I don't dislike exactly but which I feel like there's something missing from.  I can't even pinpoint what I feel is missing.  I just get to the end of the book and start looking around like a piece of the puzzle was left on the floor and the picture isn't quite complete without it.

Here's the thing, I know that the first book in a series doesn't tie up all the loose ends.  You wouldn't want it to or the rest of the series would be pretty damn boring.  I know that good backstory should be doled out slowly so you don't get hit with information overload.  I'm not denying either of those things at all.  But I also think that you should feel like the information given and the ends that were tied up completed enough of a loop to keep you happy while you edge toward more answers.

Although the main storyline with Lukian and Peren was tied up (as in the mating and claiming and what have you), I feel like we barely skimmed on the surface and never got more than our toes wet.  The secondary characters, who have entire books devoted to them in the series, didn't feel like they had much depth.  You never got to know them as more than just background noise.

I'm not sure if I really like this book.  It's a shame, too, because I've enjoyed several other series by this author.  I just never really connected to what was going on in this one.

More books by Mandy M. Roth

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment